Super Contributor

Re: Sigma Alpha Epsilon Song Pervasive

The kid who secretly videotaped it and sent it to an African American student should have stood up on the bus and said STOP, I'm not going to take part in this. Instead, he did an underhanded thing which makes you wonder what he was doing on that bus in the first place.

Regular Contributor

On 3/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

Not surprised either.

I saw something yesterday or the day before with one of the guys 'apologizing' for his part in it. Really? People don't say/sing things like that unless that is truly part of their thought and belief process. I just think that those 'I'm sorry I got caught' kind of apologies are worse than just keeping it shut. Don't say anything if you don't actually mean that you're sorry YOU DID IT. If you're just sorry you got caught it comes through glaringly in your little apology.

/rant (sorry)

I disagree. In a group mentality one can get caught up in following the crowd even if they don't personally believe in the same values, especially when you are as young as these boys are. It's easier to go along with than it is to stand up to.

Respected Contributor

They call it leadership training, I call it institutionalized racism.
Honored Contributor

This men are old enough to know what they are doing and no one makes them act this way.

Super Contributor

These men are old enough to make decisions in a voting booth or behind a wheel of a car, on a battlefield,but they are too young to know racism when they see it or sing it? Not buying that defense. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. My young neighbor girl and her brother are more mature than these guys. All it would take is for ONE of those "brothers" to stop the bus and get off to drive the point home. The same goes for hazing, binge drinking, se x ual misconduct, or any number of other horrid behavior associated with frat rats. And who was driving the bus, by the way? Was that person also complicit?

Esteemed Contributor

I read this article and it gave me a really different perspective. I found Maria Dixon to offer a great alternative especially when she mentioned Walter, the black employee of the frat for 15 yrs.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mariadixonhall/2015/03/a-teachable-moment-how-ou-failed-transformation-...

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Irish, that was an awesome article. What an eye-opening perspective. Thanks for sharing!
Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

Not surprised either.

I saw something yesterday or the day before with one of the guys 'apologizing' for his part in it. Really? People don't say/sing things like that unless that is truly part of their thought and belief process. I just think that those 'I'm sorry I got caught' kind of apologies are worse than just keeping it shut. Don't say anything if you don't actually mean that you're sorry YOU DID IT. If you're just sorry you got caught it comes through glaringly in your little apology.

/rant (sorry)

I'm with you, CB {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 hckynut said: I watched the televised newscast of the 1 student. He gave a lack luster apology, which he had to read, and looked annoyed to even be there. The press asked questions to which he replied "I am not here to answer questions". Guess his speech writer didn't have any ready for him. Anyone that bought that nonsense? You are very guilible. Guess it is nice to have very rich parents as that is all I got out of narcisistic so -called apology.

Right on, John!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/28/2015 FUTURE said: Irish, that was an awesome article. What an eye-opening perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Future. I really thought so too. She is a very articulate lady.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK