Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sick & Tired of All the Tainted Salad Issues

I have 2 bags in my refrigerator right now with the manufacturers code that's being recalled.  The article I read said to throw them out.  Really?  No, I'm not throwing them out.  I'm taking them back to the grocery store and getting my money back!  Well, if it ever stops snowing, that is.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Hey, SFNative, we posted at the same time!  We had a similar thought there.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

@tantallum wrote:

@Hot Street wrote:

Again, someone has died from eating a bagged salad from Dole.   I had to throw the spinach away I bought at Kroger with the Fresh Selections label.

When will they get it?    People have to die of listeria before these huge manufacturers can figure out how to keep us safe.

Years ago, when technology wasn't so advanced, you never heard of all these health related issues in food manufacturing.   These companies make millions of dollars and still are poisoning the public.

we never heard of it because we didn't have the technology to detect it and do the statistical analyses to pinpoint the source.  everyone just assumed they had 'the stomach flu'...

I think you are onto something there. Technology has given scientists the ability to track down the specific source of contamination.

Previously, who knew for sure?  

~Quack

Trusted Contributor

I have a full unopened bag of Dole's Romaine lettuce and it has the "B" letter in front of the code number, not one of the recalled numbers. I found this:

The recall includes any bagged salad products that have the letter "A" at the beginning of product code printed in the top right corner of the package. The CDC states that the salad was packaged under the Dole name and five other brands including President's Choice, The Little Salad Bar, Marketside, Simple Truth, and Fresh Selections.
Read more at http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2016/01/23/2016-dole-salad-recall-listeriatainted#bbGP6Hrh8y...

Evidently the packaging plant was somewhere in Ohio.

Still, I will wash it really well! Thanks for posting about this! I had no idea!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking that many years ago, many foods were 'natural' and folks' stomachs were acclimated/used to various bacteria out on the farms, etc.  ........... Reminds me of our friends: Husband was born in C., wife and adult children born here.  Anyway, the entire family would occasionally visit their relatives overseas; wife and adult children would become ill each time.  Not the husband, I'm thinking because he was born there.  So now, only the husband travels to see his relatives.  'Case in point', it could be because our biological systems today are programmed to become used to fairly sanitized foods.   Actually, thinking about it right now, jarred foods that are labeled 'organic' don't seem to last as long in my fridge.  The non-organic varieties last much, much longer.  'Sometimes' I prefer the longer lasting ones...........Edited to say:  Just thinking out loud, right or wrong..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think these things always occurred and they aren't common at all, they are very rare. 

we just hear about them today, mutlple times for days and days. So it seems like it's huge problem and people are dropping dead by the hundreds after eating tainted produce. That certainly is not  the case. 

I agree that it is not a situation of many many people being killed by this, but each year, many many people are sickened by food borne illnesses, and many people who have health problems already, don't need the exposure to illnesses that are preventable by simply avoiding sources that are showing repeated problems or because they don't clean produce well enough.

While the sky is not falling in here, it never hurts to be alerted to the recalls, the issues causing them, and some solutions and processes and protections people can take to be safe with their food supply.

Honored Contributor

Yes, thank goodness for the FDA recall newsletter alerts.  You can also sign up for their pet food division.  I'm often forwarding my pet food email alerts to others who are too busy to check their emails. 

Respected Contributor

i do not buy any bagged lettuce/salad mixes. i have had too many lower GI issues when i have used them for salads.  i live with SO who buys these exclusively and he NEVER has an issue. but i have tried his salad mixes and was miserable. all. night.

i WILL buy bagged Romaine hearts  - only the ones from Canada. tney are typically sold  to 3 romaine heads per bag.   i buy generic spinach - the big gnarly leaves - and i cook it - no baby spinach.  i am kind of old school with veggies!

there are too many variables when it come to fresh produce. i never buy pre-cut watermelon. how do i know if they used the same knife on chicken?   i  wash ALL skin fruit with soap and water including tomatoes. i only buy strawberries when they are local and that is  May-July.  only buy local peaches and blueberries.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading an article in Consumer Reports regarding bagged salad, I haven't bought any in yrs. 

Respected Contributor

look at Chipotle, they were supposed be fresh and organic....they have had so many problems. they "say" it is the supply chain.

some of their issues were from Norovirus outbreaks, one in california on August and one in Boston in November.

the bulk of their problems are with FRESH ORGANIC food they offer.