Trusted Contributor

Re: Should airline seats be allowed to recline?

I say do away with it.  I have never reclined an airline seat for the very reason that I don't want to put out the person behind me, but that hasn't stopped me from falling asleep.

Respected Contributor

I have no problems with a small recline. Have flown many times and most people were very courteous and did not recline or did so only slightly to the extent it was no problem. I vote small recline, not head in the lap recline!

Esteemed Contributor

the airlines keep making the seats and the space between them smaller and smaller so for me, I think they need to fix it so that the seats are not able to be put into recline.

I'm not tall but even for me, the space on most planes is very tight.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Maybe a small recline, but the people behind may need to get up for the restroom and I don't want someone's head in my lap or for a stranger starring up at me upside down.

Just eat a big ole cheeseburger with LOTS of extra onions and then breath out of your mouth on that inconsiderate jerk with his upside down head in your lap. He will skidooooo fast. This is why I always try to get the very first seat up front. Nobody in front of me and my long legs. Flying is no fun anymore.

Respected Contributor

I don't know why the airlines don't try to remedy this.....they have to be aware of the discomfort and frustrations of their passengers.  I understand their priority is keeping their shareholders happy....but does it have to be at the expense of the very people who are paying for their service?  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

I don't know why the airlines don't try to remedy this.....they have to be aware of the discomfort and frustrations of their passengers.  I understand their priority is keeping their shareholders happy....but does it have to be at the expense of the very people who are paying for their service?  

Ever since deregulation, airline service has gone down the tubes.  It started with airlines exploding their route structures and in the process straining their resources to the max.  Before deregulation, flying was a pleasure, now it has become a means to an end.  The seating is deplorable and the airlines are making record profits.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, they should be allowed to recline fora  few reasons. Sleep being the primary, but some people need the ability to recline for health reasons.

What needs to be changed are people's attitudes that the world doesn't revolve around them, and they need to be considerate of others.

Extra foot room couldn't hurt either.

Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

Yes, they should be allowed to recline fora  few reasons. Sleep being the primary, but some people need the ability to recline for health reasons.

What needs to be changed are people's attitudes that the world doesn't revolve around them, and they need to be considerate of others.

Extra foot room couldn't hurt either.

Sadly it's not going to change.  It will get worse.  Airlines are in the business to save money.  More room means more weight added, means more fuel.  They try to pack in as many people as they can.  I had to endure an awful flight (last row with a women in my lap.)  I did absolutely nothing.  I just had to keep my mouth shut.  Too many horrors stories.

Honored Contributor

There is not much room at all.  I believe they should make the seats so that they do not recline.  Some people will recline and really do all that they can to take up every bit of space they can and then other people suffer.  The airlines are trying to cram as many seats in as possible and we, the consumers, suffer for it. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin