Honored Contributor

Re: Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

I'm not a Christian at all.  It's OK with me if stores are open that day.  As it is now, we just kind of sit around that day.  Increasingly new immigrants will make it more more of a secular holiday (which it should be)  There is freedom of religion and freedom from all religions.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

There are always plenty of people who WANT to work holidays, especially for premium pay.  I remember back when I worked retail, you'd get double time and a half for a holiday.    

Since everybody doesn't celebrate the same holidays, it's just an opportunity for some to work and make more money.  Smiley Happy

I understand that, but I highly doubt most retailers are only using employees that WANT to come in. IMO, if they work a holiday, they should get double or triple time. I doubt that always happens. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If that's how people want to spend their day, it doesn't matter to me. No different than going out to eat or to the movies on Christmas. I often see complaints about retail open but people saying they are going to the movies etc.Well those places don't run by themselves either

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

There are always plenty of people who WANT to work holidays, especially for premium pay.  I remember back when I worked retail, you'd get double time and a half for a holiday.    

Since everybody doesn't celebrate the same holidays, it's just an opportunity for some to work and make more money.  Smiley Happy

Yes, this. Those who choose retail as a career are, at this point in time, well aware that working holidays is a fact or a future likelihood. For young people working retail who are not necessarily planning a retail career, they also know it's part of the job and they can decide now whether they can live with it.

From what people have expressed on these forums, it seems that it's moms and grandmas who are protesting, not so much those who are working who know what they're getting into.

And yes - not everyone has a family to celebrate with; not everyone feels like "celebrating" (broken homes, incarcerations, abuse, abandonment) as a happy occasion; and of course, not everyone celebrates the religious aspect of the day or holds it sacred.

"The Holidays" are sad and stressful for many. Why not offer an option to help them get through the day(s) that everyone around them *insists* be family oriented, cheerful and spiritual - if they are none of those things?

I am now transitioning to a phase in my life where I will henceforth always have family around me, but my entire adult life up to now I have pretty much hated "The Holidays" as I spent them completely alone or with dysfunctional family. I'm not unique, I'm one of hundreds of thousands at least, in the same boat.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Absolutely.  There are many people who do not observe the holiday, there are those who are lonely and would like to be out and about, there are those who want to earn extra money.  Bottom line is...not everyone has to live by the wishes and desires of some.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every business should remain open as normal, year round.  

Too many people get upset because the town shuts down for one religion.  That is not correct or right to do to the whole town.  

The town is forced to deal with that one religions wants to shut down the town.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

There seems to be a mixed verdict about shopping on Thanksgiving.

Some people say they don't celebrate the day and shopping is an alternative.

Thanksgiving is a National Civic Holiday - celebrated by everyone of every background.

Since Christmas is a holiday celebrated by just believers (not everyone in the USA), should we open stores on Christmas Day?

Not again.................some stores ARE OPEN on Christmas Day.  And before you start providing links, I know this because I will be working, double rate no less.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked retail for many years; I put myself through undergrad courtesy of retail. I worked every weekend including Sunday (time and a half) so that I would have 2 days a week off during the week to jam all my classes in. It stunk,  but I did what I had to do.

Christmas Eve was when my family celebrated by attending 7 pm Mass (children's choir) and then a long Latin Mass. My manager would give me attitude because I refused to work to closing on Christmas Eve (we closed at 7 pm), but would be there on the 26th at 5am for the after Christmas sale. Just because SHE didn't celebrate the holiday did NOT mean that others didn't.....

Which leads me to this: If you WANT to work on ANY holiday; go for it. If you don't celebrate XYZ holiday; super. But, DO NOT FORCE the employee to work said day and THAT is the problem. Many stores DO threaten employees with being fired (in my state you can be fired "at will"). So, open up your store because geez louise people just have to shop every day of the year, but do so with those who VOLUNTEER to work, NOT those who are FORCED to work.

HUGE difference. Until that is the situation, I won;t support any business who opens on those holidays. JMHO.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

There seems to be a mixed verdict about shopping on Thanksgiving.

Some people say they don't celebrate the day and shopping is an alternative.

Thanksgiving is a National Civic Holiday - celebrated by everyone of every background.

Since Christmas is a holiday celebrated by just believers (not everyone in the USA), should we open stores on Christmas Day?

Not again.................some stores ARE OPEN on Christmas Day.  And before you start providing links, I know this because I will be working, double rate no less.

"Not again" ……… and "before you start providing links" ………………… Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!