Honored Contributor

Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

There seems to be a mixed verdict about shopping on Thanksgiving.

Some people say they don't celebrate the day and shopping is an alternative.

Thanksgiving is a National Civic Holiday - celebrated by everyone of every background.

Since Christmas is a holiday celebrated by just believers (not everyone in the USA), should we open stores on Christmas Day?

Honored Contributor

Re: Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

Fine by me.   If it makes them money and, especially like you said, everybody does not celebrate the same holidays, more power to them!

Even if I were a serious fan of christmas , I don't think I'd have the mindset that nobody should do anything else and have to live by MY rules.

I say - go for it!  Smiley Happy   If people want to shop on that day they will.  If they don't,  they don't have to at all.  I know some people who always went to the movies on days like that and other things.    Everybody doesn't have to be the same and nobody needs to judge what others do with their time/money.

Smiley Happy   JMNSHO, FWIW

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Thanksgiving is a National Civic Holiday - celebrated by everyone of every background.

Since Christmas is a holiday celebrated by just believers (not everyone in the USA), should we open stores on Christmas Day?

Hi terrier, Smiley Happy

Were you listening to my conversation today? lol 

I would much rather see the stores closed on all the holidays.   There is no reason to shop, imo.  There are plenty of other days to shop.

If the stores are going to be open, I would rather see them open on Xmas, than on Thanksgiving, for the reasons you stated.

Happy holidays!!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

We always go to the movies on Christmas and sometimes out for dinner afterwards.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were not always national NO Work holidays....

Honored Contributor

This morning my friend said that her daughter, an assistant manager at Wal-Mart, told her that she expects her store to be open on December 25th within the next few years.  I guess it's inevitable.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely NO!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I fully expect Christmas to be dropped as a national holiday in the near future and a floating holiday given instead in some businesses.  This would give people who practice other religions or no religion to take time when they prefer.  I have no objections to the stores opening any holidays; we have the choice to shop or not and as said, all people do not celebrate Christmas.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I told the sweet cashier at Target the other day that I hoped BF would become online only SOON. I hate that people have to go to work on the evening of Thanksgiving or Christmas. I've worked in health care for over 10 years, and I've worked my fair share (and then some) of holidays, but for retailers, it's unnecessary, IMO. Just Capitalism at its finest. :-/

ETA: I appreciate those that gave the viewpoint of wanting to work holidays due to family issues, not celebrating at all, needing to work for additional money, etc. It definitely makes sense!

Honored Contributor

There are always plenty of people who WANT to work holidays, especially for premium pay.  I remember back when I worked retail, you'd get double time and a half for a holiday.    

Since everybody doesn't celebrate the same holidays, it's just an opportunity for some to work and make more money.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Not "everyone."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif