Trusted Contributor

Re: Should I go on a cruise solo?

you sound very comfortable being by yourself and don't necessarily need other people's company in order to have fun, so I'll say definitely do it. I know many people who travel by themselves. they're friendly and like to meet and chat with others very easily. if your cruising buddies have other plans, then take advantage of this opportunity and see how you like cruising solo. you just might enjoy it more! 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think you should, especially if you've already been on a cruise before. It could be a fun opportunity to get to whatever activity or eat whenever and wherever you want and never be worried about being outvoted. Or maybe you'll meet some new friends and add to you cruising buddy list for another time!

Esteemed Contributor

Bon voyage!

Honored Contributor

Tip: Always carry two small mini-spiral notebooks.  One for carrying with you around the ship, the other in your suitcase.  Transfer all of the names and phone numbers of new friends each night into your suitcase notebook.  Just in case one is misplaced/lost.   Just kind words of advice. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I have not been on a cruise alone but have traveled alone several times and have enjoyed myself.  Several of my friends have cruised alone and have had a wonderful time.

I was on a cruise one time with my daughter and our dinner companions were 3 women, each traveling alone.  Dinner each evening was fun as each of us talked about the activities of the day - girl talk.  I would say go for it.

Honored Contributor

As you describe yourself, I can't see any red flags.

Also, the last cruise I was on was with a friend I'd never cruised with before.  Every morning I got up, dressed, and went to breakfast by myself.  She preferrd to order room service and "stay home." I always found wonderful people to sit with, eat, with, talk with.  Those breakfasts were among my favorite hours of that cruise!

Go and enjoy.  There could be moments you feel alone or left out, but I believe they'll be far fewer than you expect!

Honored Contributor

Get up when you want, eat what you want, take whatever shore trips you desire.  Sounds like a winner to me.  And yes, you may make new friends and/or have to fend off objectionable people.  I envy you.

Trusted Contributor

I would definately recommend you go.  I have been on many cruises and have seen solo people on the cruise.  You are really not alone if you prefer company because at your table, etc you will make friends.  

I went to the Holy Land alone, because like you I am a widow.  I was on a group tour, but did not know anyone beforehand.  Now I have some dear friends that I met on the tour!!!

Good luck and happy sailing. 

Super Contributor

One of my closest friends did two cruises solo this year, both with great success.  The first was 15 days, Viking, on the Danube.  The other was about 10 days, Moscow to St. Petersburg.  She met lovely people and half a wonderful time.

Honored Contributor

I think if you are an outgoing, social type who finds it easy to strike up a conversation with strangers; you should definitely go alone.  But if that isn't the type of person you are, if you tend to be more reserved; you might want to re-think that cruise.