Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shooting In Munich, Germany

@Mominohio wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm one of the few who have been taking certain threats very seriously.  Enough said.

Before people chastise you for this, and they will, I will say that this is just where we are at in today's world.

It used to be that we all knew where the bad sides of a town were, or what neighborhoods it migh not be safe to be in after dark or walking alone. But today, it's open season.

Whether people want to believe it or not, we all are quickly heading to the point where every place we choose to go is going to need to be analyzed for the level of threat to our safety. 

Smart people are already thinking this way, and choosing carefully both where they go, when, and how they behave when there (to mean how situationally aware they are, noticing exits from buildings, noticing the level of security etc.)

Yes, I know that if we don't continue to live our lives 'normally', "they" win. But ultimately, our safety and security are falling more and more into the realm of our own responsibility as this madness continues.

@Mominohio, I began worrying when schools, churches, malls and movie theatres were being attacked by (gasp) Americans. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Must be those Little Sisters of the Poor again!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

'MominOhio':  Yes, ITA.   Enough said.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Frankly, I started to feel a little apprehensive about going overseas after the World Trade Center attacks.  The events of the past 15 years haven't been reassuring.  It's true that the chance of being a victim of one of these attacks is slim, but the news reports definitely have an effect on me. 

Israelis have been living with this situation for quite some time now.  I spoke with a woman whose husband had to live temporarily in Israel for his job.  She said he was tremendously stressed out because they were always ready for an attack whenever they were in public.  She said he was coming home soon and was glad to be leaving this stress.

My sister and her husband were traveling to Paris a few years ago when the city was at high risk for attacks.  I told them about it, but they weren't concerned and went anyway.  They luckily had no problems, and the unrest was kept isolated outside of where they were.  I think most countries try to keep their tourist areas safe so that tourism doesn't dry up.  I would not have gone in the face of those news reports.

Esteemed Contributor

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Columbine, Colorado

Charleston, South Carolina

Aurora, Colorado

Sandy Hook, Connecticut

I've BEEN worried

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Columbine, Colorado

Charleston, South Carolina

Aurora, Colorado

Sandy Hook, Connecticut

I've BEEN worried

With the exception of Oklahoma City, most if not all of the incidents you cite have involved mentally ill shooters.  That's quite different from the situation in Israel and now in Europe involving deliberate, planned acts of terrorism..

Honored Contributor

This is the date of the Five-year anniversary of the Norway massacre. Family in UK are saying the news reports this is not being considered a coincidence.

BIL and his son (10 years old) are in Berlin right now. *heavy sigh*

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nightly News reporting it looks like Right Wing Neo Nazi mad about refugees. VIdeo of gunman on roof of mall cursing out "foreigners" saying he is German.

Trusted Contributor

Yet 38,300 people were killed in auto accidents in the US in 2015 and I doubt people are afraid to drive somewhere.  http://www.newsweek.com/2015-brought-biggest-us-traffic-death-increase-50-years-427759

I'm not making light of how horrible these terrorist acts are, but I think we're at much higher risk of common, everyday things that we do.  

Esteemed Contributor

@starlet wrote:

Nightly News reporting it looks like Right Wing Neo Nazi mad about refugees. VIdeo of gunman on roof of mall cursing out "foreigners" saying he is German.

@starlet wrote:

@starlet

I also saw a report where the gunman identified himself as German and I knew about the anniversary.