Regular Contributor

Re: Shark Tank last night- Parker's Maple Syrup

AMEN JUST BLING.  I agree with you, $5.00 is absolutely JUST PLAIN GREED.  Maybe Mark C was trying to get him to at least cover his costs, but doubt that he expected him to quadruple his profits.....that is pure and simple greed.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest that perhaps he raised the price because of the upcoming holiday season. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Regular Contributor

I didn't see the show but from what u said it sounds like greed to me. That young man has a lot to learn about raising prices and losing customers. 

Respected Contributor

Diddn't see the show but I like Maple syrup.  I don't know the size of the package he is selling for the maple cotton candy but in my opinion Maple cotton candy is tasty but Not $5.00 worth of tasty.  Other People make Maple cotton candy. His product is not unique.  He should cut that price in half and use the cotton candy as a draw for people to look at the rest of his goods offered.  If he's going the lux route he needs to double the price again as $5.00 is to low  a price to pay for "Artisen quality" even if it does only cost $0.45 to produce.  Because as we all know... The more you pay, the more it's  worth.

Honored Contributor

From what I hear, there are so many people applying to get on this show, I think that his making it on there is quite an accomplishment.  And for him being only 18 -- he is to be commended.  He did a really good job presenting himself as far as his poise, etc.  I can't imagine it would be easy to go before those people and in front of the camera like that on t.v. -- at any age.  Also, I admire him for his dedication at such a young age.  I wish him well in his indeavor.  I'm sure if he sticks with it, he will be very successful.  As with others who appear on the show and do not get a deal, the exposure is invaluable.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Can't understand why this young guy thought Shark Tank would be interested in investing.  If you know the Northeast - like I do - there is a syrup business on every corner with a 25 mile span.  Vermont maple syrup - New York maple syrup - Maine maple syrup.    A little spun cotton candy is a new idea but not one to make it interesting for NY City millionaire investors.   Oh well, he got to see the big apple, and be on TV.  Good Luck to him.

@fthunt, as a New Englander, ITA! I don't understand why he'd want to add another maple syrup brand to the pile.

Pure maple syrup = pure maple syrup. Sure, there are grades of syrup, but they're all made exactly the same way. His is NOT unique.

A question for those of you who watched the segment:

In the beginning, they showed equipment that he & his dad had purchased in order to make the syrup.

But, during his presentation, when discussing a mistake he'd made which resulted in too much inventory.....he said "We'd already purchased the syrup..."

So, do they no longer manufacture their own?

Muddling through...