Honored Contributor

Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

[ Edited ]

We hear so much about the above subject and the abuses occuring when people want to take all manner of animal life in public places claiming their darling is an "emotional support" animal.  We were even treated to a pic of an uncaged turkey in an airliner seat.  I did a little research on the subject.

The Americans With Disabilities Act has a pretty narrow definition of what a bona-fide service dog is, and most of the poodles and chihuahuas don't meet the definition.  There is no mention of emotional support animals being covered by the ADA.  Any animal could provide emotional support...it doesn't require training.

I question the use of miniature horses as service animals.  I've worked with horses and know how difficult it is to train them, especially to do something abstract like safely guide a person across a street.  They are not the brightest of animals.  I've never heard of one being housebroken.

I think businesses, even large corporations, need training on the provisions of this act.  They're being taken advantage of. 

SERVICE ANIMALS - CLICK

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

I agree.  I am tired of seeing "emotional support" dogs in grocery stores, restaurants, on airplanes, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

In my area any support animal has to be verified and wears a special vest stating support.  My part time job was nights in a large grocery store.  Per the local health Dept no shirt, no shoes and no support vest you could not come in the store.  Yes we did see small breed dogs in a basket on a motorized cart.  He had his vest so he could come in.  Those animals are trained and very well behaved.  When you see one you are not to give him attention as he is working.  Treat them just like you would a seeing eye dog.   We had our share of people trying to bring pets in, especially in this heat.  They are not smart enough to leave their pets at home when they shop.

Honored Contributor

Emotional support dogs are required to undergo training and be certified;however, this isn't always the case with a "service" dog.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

Did you ever see the show  about the couple that finally moved out the pet buffalo they had let roam in their house?  How'd you like to house train that one, and what's he do to the door to let you know he has to "go" out?  Boy howdie.

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

In my area any support animal has to be verified and wears a special vest stating support.  My part time job was nights in a large grocery store.  Per the local health Dept no shirt, no shoes and no support vest you could not come in the store.  Yes we did see small breed dogs in a basket on a motorized cart.  He had his vest so he could come in.  Those animals are trained and very well behaved.  When you see one you are not to give him attention as he is working.  Treat them just like you would a seeing eye dog.   We had our share of people trying to bring pets in, especially in this heat.  They are not smart enough to leave their pets at home when they shop.

@Gram W  A vest means nothing.  You can buy them online all day long by the dozen.  Did you read the link I posted?

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Emotional support dogs are required to undergo training and be certified;however, this isn't always the case with a "service" dog.  

@phoenixbrd  Did you read the link I posted?  The ADA doesn't even recognize "emotional support animals".  They undergo no training whatsoever.  It's service animals that must have specialized training to preform specific tasks.

Apparently "emotional support" is a term coined by people who are just trying to get their household pets into otherwise forbidden places.  Legally they don't exist.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Kachina624,

Did you ever see the show  about the couple that finally moved out the pet buffalo they had let roam in their house?  How'd you like to house train that one, and what's he do to the door to let you know he has to "go" out?  Boy howdie.

@qualitygal  Yes, Animal Planet has featured this beast on several programs.  His owners were flirting with disaster in forgetting that a bison is a wild animal.   Talk about a bull in a china shop.

Respected Contributor

i think all pets are "emotional support animals".

that does't mean they should be a constant companion. if you can't go in a grocery store without it, you have bigger problems. when someone has a python, in a vest, i will leave the store -pronto!

Esteemed Contributor

While in some cases I believe emotional support animals may be beneficial for some people, the vast majority are just ridiculous claims.  These animals have no training and can often be dangerous for others to be around.  Unfortunately businesses don't want to open themselves to lawsuits, so they let these people get away with their behavior.  I believe that if people are going to need to take these emotional support animals into public they will need to undergo some type of certification and testing that they are safe to be taken into public places.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.