Honored Contributor

Re: Self-driving Ubers - would you?

So what would people be doing in the car while it drives itself?

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Hahahaha, robots are smarter than a lot of people NOW.

I suppose "smart" can be defined in a myriad of ways and complexities.

Yes agree.  For sure I think they will be able to learn to interpret and react to human emotions, endurance and creativity but never feel them.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Hahahaha, robots are smarter than a lot of people NOW.

I suppose "smart" can be defined in a myriad of ways and complexities.

Yes agree.  For sure I think they will be able to learn to interpret and react to human emotions, endurance and creativity but never feel them.

So, we'll have a lot of Sociopathic Robots.

Great!

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So what would people be doing in the car while it drives itself?

Posting. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

Wasn't there a recent incident of a self-driving car that malfunctioned and caused an accident?   I think it was in Florida and it was a fatal crash. That's what I would be concerned about.  Never mind getting into one of those....  I'd be concerned as a driver with those cars on the road.

It didn't apply the brakes and the car went under the back of a tractor trailer.

@CelticCrafter they said it was because the truck was white and when it turned the reflection from the sun - the self-driving vehicle didn't see anything - it just saw white (wide openess) and that's why it hit it.  The idiot behind the wheel was too busy watching a movie to save his own life. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Wait a minute.  I don't think we're talking about a bunch of cars and semis on the road without a driver.  Someone would still have to be behined the wheel.

We've had autopilot in airplanes for how many years now but there is still a pilot, co-pilot, and someone else in the cockpit. 

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think anyone is going to be hopping into and empty Uber car and having it take you somewhere all by yourself, with you in the backseat. 

@Lipstickdiva - oh I think you are wrong about the driverless ubers - I think that is exactly what they are planning on doing - do one behind the wheel (eventually).

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Wait a minute.  I don't think we're talking about a bunch of cars and semis on the road without a driver.  Someone would still have to be behined the wheel.

We've had autopilot in airplanes for how many years now but there is still a pilot, co-pilot, and someone else in the cockpit. 

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think anyone is going to be hopping into and empty Uber car and having it take you somewhere all by yourself, with you in the backseat. 

@Lipstickdiva - oh I think you are wrong about the driverless ubers - I think that is exactly what they are planning on doing - do one behind the wheel (eventually).

@hoosieroriginal is right, just heard an interview and that is exactly what they want to do. Also @Lipstickdiva did you not hear about the Tesla that was on the "auto pilot" feature and HAD a person in the car supposedly watching to make sure everything was okay only to have the car drive into a semi at full speed and no sign that the car or human driver applied the brakes. And yes, the guy died.

I am more worried about my safety as a driver on the road with driverless cars as I have no choice as to them being on the road  and they can never, ever program a car to assess every possible scenario a car may encounter.

And the scariest thing- one of the things they are trying to program into the cars is for the car to decide which action will cause the least damage or death, meaning it can actually "decide" to run you over as a pedestrian rather than T-bone a car with several passagers in it that might have run a red light. Nice.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Would you use a self-driving Uber to get around?  Now, this morning, I also hear they are going to have a fleet of self-driving big rigs - OH LORD!  Can you imagine?  Even if they have someone sitting behind the wheel - the hours those guys work, they will definitely be asleep at the wheel!  I just think it is too early to be putting these cars/trucks on the road?  Do you?

NoNopeNadaNo way.  Nah!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

They might drive better than most drivers today! (seriously, at least they wont be on cellphones!).

I'd ride in them if they are on the road awhile and proved safe. However, I wont ride in an Uber with a human being stranger...ever!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

"Re: Self-driving Ubers - would you?"

No no I don't think so.