Respected Contributor

Re: Self-driving Ubers - would you?

This may sound silly, but I wonder about insurance - although it's a self-driving vehicle - how would liability be determined?

Esteemed Contributor

What I wonder about self-driving vehicles is, what's to stop a drunk person from geting behind the wheel?

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I would afraid of getting trapped in one.  What if there was a malfunction and the doors locked and you couldn't get out.  Yikes...

Cars today have automatic door locks.

Theoretically, there could be a malfunction, and the doors wont open.

Are you afraid of getting trapped inside one of today's cars?

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

What I wonder about self-driving vehicles is, what's to stop a drunk person from geting behind the wheel?

So what - the car would be sober even if the person riding in it is drunk.This is one case where self driving cars are a good thing.

Honored Contributor

New technology will always have a bunch of kinks to work out.

I'd prefer not to be in a car with a kink.

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

This may sound silly, but I wonder about insurance - although it's a self-driving vehicle - how would liability be determined?

@alliswell

I am guessing that with all the electronics involved in making these vehicles, included would be plenty of camera views. Along with that, probably some impact sensors that record the exact time of impact in relation to the position of the other vehicle, or person involved.

As for the cost of liability premiums? Guess a person's driving record could possibly be overlooked since they are not actually driving. I however.have to believe one's driving record, as it is today, will still be a big factor when it comes to the high liability insurance, for some and to me that is the way it should be.

My record is spotless as no insurance company has paid 1 penny to anyone from my liability insurance.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@alliswell wrote:

@alliswell

I am guessing that with all the electronics involved in making these vehicles, included would be plenty of camera views. Along with that, probably some impact sensors that record the exact time of impact in relation to the position of the other vehicle, or person involved.

As for the cost of liability premiums? Guess a person's driving record could possibly be overlooked since they are not actually driving. I however.have to believe one's driving record, as it is today, will still be a big factor when it comes to the high liability insurance, for some and to me that is the way it should be.

My record is spotless as no insurance company has paid 1 penny to anyone from my liability insurance.

hckynut(john)

My brother, who is also 77, still has a spotless record (knock on wood) as did my dad, who still drove his vehicles into his 90's, when medication related reasons prevented him.   Thanks for your response @hckynut.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The same thing or person that stops them now. If a friend is a real friend, they will offer options to their drunk friend. Some even go as far as giving his location and plate number to law enforcement.

Maybe since it is all technology driven, I would think having a sobriety test device that would prevent it from moving.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I would afraid of getting trapped in one.  What if there was a malfunction and the doors locked and you couldn't get out.  Yikes...

Cars today have automatic door locks.

Theoretically, there could be a malfunction, and the doors wont open.

Are you afraid of getting trapped inside one of today's cars?

Those automatic door locks can be easily overridden. The GM car we owned had them and I had my GM mechanic friend do so.  

Unless they have changed, and I have driven a 2015 vehicle, doors lock automatically, but the electronics allow the driver to still unlock the door by physically doing so. Mechanical overrides the electronics by the person in the car.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Wasn't there a recent incident of a self-driving car that malfunctioned and caused an accident?   I think it was in Florida and it was a fatal crash. That's what I would be concerned about.  Never mind getting into one of those....  I'd be concerned as a driver with those cars on the road.

It didn't apply the brakes and the car went under the back of a tractor trailer.