Respected Contributor

Self-driving Ubers - would you?

Would you use a self-driving Uber to get around?  Now, this morning, I also hear they are going to have a fleet of self-driving big rigs - OH LORD!  Can you imagine?  Even if they have someone sitting behind the wheel - the hours those guys work, they will definitely be asleep at the wheel!  I just think it is too early to be putting these cars/trucks on the road?  Do you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Self-driving Ubers - would you?

I suspect we are closer than I'd ever imagined, but I'm not ready to be part of the experiment.

Then again -  how many people are killed or injured every day in cars driven by supposedly competent humans?

Respected Contributor

I never say never - LOL

I'm a little hesitant about self-driving cars though.

Honored Contributor

In a heartbeat.  The only reason I won't use Uber and even regular cabs is that I do not like getting into a car with a stranger especially a strange man.  I usually travel by myself so I'm just not a fan.  

To me, this is personal public transportation.  Love it if it ever comes to fruition.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When ever I hear of self driving taxis and now self driven semis I think there go the jobs. There are a lot of people in this country driving semis for a living - wouldn't it be a shame to put them out of work. 

IMO - a much higher % of the jobs that have been lost in this country are due to technology than to outsourcing to other countries. My DH was a facility manager for a company with a warehouse and an office - they were distributors of electrical products and had 12 employees + outside sales people there. They went to computers and within 6 months they closed the warehouse and went instead to large regional hubs then swiftly took the office down to just my DH working from our house on the computer . All those other people were laid off including the sales staff - my DH now did it all - sales calls and all the inside staff work on his blackberry and laptop. 

When the hospital system where I worked went with electronic med records the doctors no longer wrote their orders - they inputed them into the computer so unit secretaries were eliminated as doctor's orders were their main responsibility. Now the nurses had to answer the phones so each nurse was given a portable phone to carry in her pocket. Then these were found to be way too germy from everyones handling them so they went with a headset instead. So now when the nurses are trying to sit and talk with their patient they have someone else babbling in their ear at the same time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wasn't there a recent incident of a self-driving car that malfunctioned and caused an accident?   I think it was in Florida and it was a fatal crash. That's what I would be concerned about.  Never mind getting into one of those....  I'd be concerned as a driver with those cars on the road.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I recall the same thing --- an accident recently.

And I too am concerned about jobs.  We have one local grocery store, that is mostly self check outs.  You can only imagine how they have not only lost jobs but have lost customers.  I will not use a self check out because I see it as a job loss for others.  

Honored Contributor

Can you still blow the horn in a self-driving car?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

If you have to have someone at the wheel to take over if needed - well you know they will be doing other things and not paying attention!  I want to drive my vehicle and could not just sit there waiting for the car to malfunction for me to take over.  It would be too stressful!!!  People will loose driving skills and if needed will not know how to react properly.  I don't get the point of all of this and it seems the only ones it would benefit are those who don't drive, the very young or those who are  always on some type of social media or taking selfies, etc, those who drink.  Would be no real benefit to me!  Can you imagine how helpless it would be to know there was a malfunction and watch it all play out??  The only real benefit would be is that speed limits would be programmed in by where the vehicle was traveling.  Insurance would surely go up and liability is questionable.  Who pays if there is a malfunction?  The cost of one of these vehicles would be ridiculous due to the car manufacturerres' liability.  It's a big NO WAY on self driving ubers and for personal self driving vehicles!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't even want to get in an Uber much less a self driving one. Cat Tongue

I don't want anything to do with self driving vehicles of any kind.