Honored Contributor

Selena Gomez Fighting Lupus

[ Edited ]

Has stopped her world tour to focus on her battle with lupus.  She has been suffering from bouts of anxiety, depression and panic attacks.  I suspect she has had some physical difficulties also, as she has been treated with chemotherapy which is also used for lupus in some cases.

My heart goes out to her...

Honored Contributor

She's a beautiful girl, I wish her improved health

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Selena Gomez

[ Edited ]

I'm glad to hear she's taking time for herself, and she's fortunate she is able to.

Living with a chronic, degenerative disease is hard enough without the stress of long trips, performances, and fans she has in her life.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I also have lupus and it is no picnic at any age.  I am glad that she is taking the moves she feels are best for her health needs and getting good care.  Lupus is not understood by many and it can be so different in each person.  The right doctor can make all the difference in the world.  

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I also have lupus and it is no picnic at any age.  I am glad that she is taking the moves she feels are best for her health needs and getting good care.  Lupus is not understood by many and it can be so different in each person.  The right doctor can make all the difference in the world.  

I hope you are doing well @Gram W  

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

That is one of the biggest challenges of Lupus, that it manifests itself differently in different people. 

Some live long lives, with many remissions and mild symptoms, others are simply ravaged, and others have their ups and downs with it.

What is particularly disheartening to me is that they haven't come very far with treatment since my dad passed with this disease in 1979. So many other conditions have seen great breakthroughs or improved medications to help manage the disease, but not so much with Lupus.

She was diagnosed so young. It is hard at any age, but I feel especially bad for young adults and children who suffer with any disease or illness.

Honored Contributor

It's very common for people who have SLE to have it hit hard in our early 20s.  IMO that's so sad.  Young and with your whole life ahead of you, hopes and dreams that often must bend to the illness.

Honored Contributor

Re: Selena Gomez Fighting Lupus

I recently watched one of those Doctor shows, and they did mention that chemo. is successfully used for various auto immune diseases, which surprised me at the time.  Lots of good luck to Selena and all who suffer with auto immune diseases (and all other diseases). 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I recently watched one of those Doctor shows, and they did mention that chemo. is successfully used for various auto immune diseases, which surprised me at the time.  Lots of good luck to Selena and all who suffer with auto immune diseases (and all other diseases). 

Hi @ROMARY

It can help with serious situations but it can be very dangerous.  It's a tough choice.

Honored Contributor

Hi, Noel ........... I believe the young woman is 25 years old, and had been in severe pain for years, even when and after using the meds.  Some type of arthritis/immune system disease, not recalling which specific one.  Anyway, this young woman has had excellent results (pain-wise) since being on the chemo. program.  She seemed happy about the results (in comparison with the pain, etc. that she had been enduring for quite awhile).    So, I'm guessing that when everything else isn't working, chemo. is probably the only other alternative, so far.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).