Trusted Contributor

Search for escaped convicts in my hometown!

This is crazy!!!  Dozens and dozens of state troopers, sheriffs, helicopters, etc. in this very rural area I call home.  Who would have thought?  I sure hope they are captured soon, and I pray nobody is hurt.

Honored Contributor

Re: Search for escaped convicts in my hometown!

Have you heard anything more?

I really think he was here in Buffalo last week...they said they didn't get anything when they searched his relative's house...but I still wonder...

Esteemed Contributor

It all must be so scary. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

It's unbelievable to me that they haven't been caught.  This area is covered with dense woods and hills, but there are so many out searching.  It seems impossible they are still on the loose.

Valued Contributor

I really think they must have people helping them. Hoping they are captured soon. It would make me nervous to think they sould be near my home. Come to think of it, they could be! They could be anywhere by now. I feel anyone who aided the escape should be in prison for life, not just the 7 years they are talking about for the hapless stooge who was "in a relationship" with them.

Honored Contributor

They'll probably make a movie out of this . . . lots of material!!

I hope everyone in your town (and everywhere) stays safe from these monsters.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

This is crazy!!!  Dozens and dozens of state troopers, sheriffs, helicopters, etc. in this very rural area I call home.  Who would have thought?  I sure hope they are captured soon, and I pray nobody is hurt.

Sue98, It must be both exciting and scary...stay safe. I'm sure as soon as they are captured will come both a movie and a book. I hope it doesn't turn into a major shootout. Those guys must be very desperate by now. Keep us informed on what's happening. Praying for the people in your town.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Bucky Philips, another notorious WNY escapee, was on the lam for 5 months in almost the same area...and during the same months. He wasn't caught until Fall, when there wasn't such a thick ground cover.

He was able to hide out in the thick woods and find food and shelter in unoccupied summer camps.

I think it might be the same for these two guys. Matt escaped earlier in his crime career from the same Erie Co. prison that Bucky escaped from...maybe he learned from Bucky's experience.

It's raining off and on today - the dogs might have problems getting a scent. Plus they say it's tough to see anything from the helicopters above the forest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Buffalo News just reported that there was another sighting on a road in Friendship NY this morning.

Locals said they might be spending time in hunting stands that have propane heaters (or hunting camps).

Sweat has family connections in nearby Steuben County.

UPDATE: CNN says there will be a press conference any minute now re: the latest sightings.

Super Contributor

Stay inside and stay safe.  Hopefully they will be caught soon.  With a maximum security prison in the town, I would think there would be security cameras galore to record exactly where they went after they climbed out of the manhole.  There should be cameras all over that town.  I agree with previous poster that anyone who aided in their escape should be locked up for life.  8 years is not long enough!