Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Phone Calls

[ Edited ]

@StraytoStay wrote:

If called and it goes to voice mail, is it still marked as an active line? I really don't know, not trying to come across as a beotch. Smiley Happy 

My husband answers these, when home, but often they hang up so I wonder how they plan to make $$ doing that? 

I'd also heard on the news that AARP got hacked by Nigeria scammers and all on the AARP list were being hit by these calls. (Google for more info, I can't count on my memory) My husband is in their database so we get at least a dozen calls per week.

@StraytoStay,  You come across as somone asking great questions!  It depends on the sophistication of the auto-dialer software.   In some cases, it can tell the difference between a live pickup vs. a switch to an answering machine, voice mail, fax, etc.   The answer/hangup you mentioned likely means either they just wanted to make note of a pickup for future calls or the timing of the pickup coincided with their software dropping the call and moving to the next phone number to call.   Sadly, some smart people invest their time and efforts into making crimes easier...  think what they could achieve if they devoted that to something worthwhile instead.  (eta:  I didn't know about AARP, I'll have to check that out.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@StraytoStay that's what I think, too.  I never answer, but I figure when they get my voice mail, they know it's a real number anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

A new one for me came today, caller ID said Xarelto Claims. Think that's a blood thinner medicine. It never ends.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks! @dooBdoo that's interesting. I looked up the AARP, they were hacked two years ago and only found a small bit on it. So many other sites came up in my search for hacked in addition to go through them all would take forever. Scary.

Esteemed Contributor

I received a phone call a few months ago.  They claimed they were from microsoft and that my computer was sending them signals that I needed to let them in so they could fix it.     I said "Oh Really"  Can you explain to me how my computer is sending you signals when it is not even turned on?   He said oh it was probably from earlier today.  He said how many computers do you have in your house?   I said 5  (not true)  He said all 5 will crash if this isn't fixed.  It will only cost you $250.00 a computer.  I said you must think I am really a stupid person?  He said no but if you don't do this all your computers will crash.  I said so you expect me to pay you 250.00 for 3 computers that are not even worth 25.00?   You don't understand he said.  I said "Oh but you are the one that don't understand, and if you call here again you will be dealing with the police."  Last I heard from them.  Cable said these calls are coming from other countries and they have no way to stop them.

Respected Contributor

I have often wondered if scammers can tell when you listen to voice mails.  Once I stopped checking messages every day, I don't get as many.  The daily debt calls have stopped altogether - I have been debt-free for many years and these were especially annoying.

I also never check voice mails during "telemarketer" hours.  

I do not want them to get a busy signal and know for sure that it is a working number.

Once I realized I did not have to respond to that blinking red light, I never looked back. I check about once a week and sometimes it is longer.

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I have often wondered if scammers can tell when you listen to voice mails.  Once I stopped checking messages every day, I don't get as many.  The daily debt calls have stopped altogether - I have been debt-free for many years and these were especially annoying.

I also never check voice mails during "telemarketer" hours.  

I do not want them to get a busy signal and know for sure that it is a working number.

Once I realized I did not have to respond to that blinking red light, I never looked back. I check about once a week and sometimes it is longer.

@ Montana: That's an interesting point. When l check the voice messages on my answering machine, l get a dial tone on my phone. So no one would get a busy signal when l'm listening to the messages. I have an old-fashioned answering machine that's separate from my phone. I know every system is different...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

We  had the irs  call  today. I had fun using my call  blocker  with  the  big  red button.  I have had several  call blockers and this is the best, easy to  install and use.

Valued Contributor

Isn't it hard to believe that at least SOME people must be responding in a financially rewarding manner to these telemarketer pigs?? They have to be getting somebody's money, in order to keep at this. 

Trusted Contributor

@handygal2  Well I got my IRS scam call today and discovered that everyone I know has received one recently.  Here is the catch, I am on NOMOROBO.  So, it successfully passed through the screening process.  How?  My speculation is that many different numbers are involved along with spoofing.  That would make it very sophisticated. They also left a message just as all the others have stated.  So what is with NOMOROBO?