Honored Contributor

I've gotten my share of scam phone calls recently. The most egregious are those purporting to be from the IRS, threatening arrest and jail for non-payment of a tax debt that is completely bogus. Don't fall for this-- the IRS NEVER will notify you by phone. There are other scams as well. Even sophisticated people have fallen for them out of fear. Here's the link to a brief, informative article:

http://nyp.st/2a6zQEM

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Regular Contributor

if you challenge some of them they get nasty.  I've gotten the one from the treasury department saying they had a $7000 check for me.   Then there's the one about Microsoft Support wanting to help me with my computer.  Then there's the medical payments group wanting to help me receive payment for my pain.      

Most of the callers don't speak English well.  You can hear lots of phones in the background.   Don't fall for these people.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Phone Calls

[ Edited ]

I got three IRS calls last week, which sort of amused me.  In each case, it  was a recorded message saying that IRS had several law suits against me and that I MUST call the number they provided (which appeared on my caller ID).  Really..........a RECORDED message?????  Anyway, since they were kind enough to provide a phone number, I was kind enough to provide the number to IRS.   (Edited to add that the messages were left on my answering machine, since I don't answer calls I don't recognize.)

Honored Contributor

In the last six months I've had more unknown numbers call, than in the twelve years I've had this phone number.  There are two that the robo leaves a message.  First is the IRS and second is from a credit card saying they will lower my rates.  If I don't know the number, I don't answer.  Then I block the number.  The most persistent is the breast cancer society.  I assume they are fake.  I don't give money over the phone.  Don't care who you are or how worthy your cause is.

Honored Contributor

Actually several years ago -maybe 10-the Irs did call us. I did not believe them and called our accountant. He followed up and found out the IRS was trying something "new". There were so many complaints that this was discontinued.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

I got FIVE of those calls in ONE day!!!  Since I always check my caller ID before I pick up the phone, all those calls were left on my message recorder.  Never answered any of them.  Continued to get for a few days and now they are silent.  Guess they got the hint!!!

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the number on my Caller ID, I just don't answer.  If they leave a message & I still don't know who it is, I Google the number to try to find out who it is.  I did get one of those scam IRS calls earlier this year where they threatened me with arrest, etc.  I just transcribed the message, then reported it to IRS on their website.

I also have NOMOROBO which is really nice, though sometimes I'd like to pick up & when they say whatever they're going to say, tell them "hold on a minute while I go get my Social Security card (or whatever), then hold the phone near the toilet & flush.  Of course, I never answer, but it's nice to have that fun little fantasy.

Respected Contributor

I have had two of those IRS calls threatening either arrest or a lawsuit. Well amazing to me that anyone could fall for any phone call - especially from the IRS. They NEVER call you like that. I too reported it to IRS AND the carrier of our phone system.

Respected Contributor

I only check my landline voice mails about once a week. This has really cut down on the annoyance of these scam calls.

Family and friends have my cell phone number,

Honored Contributor

I've had two calls this morning, didn't answer either one but after looking up the numbers, oops I missed calls from the IRS, LOL ..   After 7 rings my fax machine picks up, I hardly ever turn the answering machine on.  Plus I love call blocking, what a darn shame something can't be done, finally, to stop all these scam calls.  So much for the do not call list!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee