Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey dooB!

You know what is kind of funny (in retrospect) - I didn't even know that, when you change ISPs, you can still keep the email addresses you had with the previous one.  Used to be that way, so I just assumed it still was.

I worked so hard, prior to having Charter come to my house and switch my landline and internet, moving stuff to the new email addresses (I already had Charter for cable tv, so I found that I could go ahead and set up my email addresses there ahead of time).

The good thing is that I had had it up to here with ATT, so I was glad to move.  But I didn't have to be in such a rush, and in fear of losing the old email addresses before I could move everything when I cancelled ATT.  D'oh!  Smiley Happy

I still check the old ones, periodically, for stragglers.  But I sure don't miss them!  

Hey, there, chickie!   I know what you mean.   When I had AT&T as my ISP (long, long time ago) they automagically gave me an email account.   I tried using it a bit, but never really liked it. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Well, good thing you didn't stick around because ATT webmail just got worse and worse over the years.  

It was just a pain to use.  The Charter email seems kind of simple, as I haven't found many 'settings' but that's ok.  I just need to send and receive emails and I'm cool.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo@handygal2~

Hi! I have a question.

If you forward the spam to the spam@uce don't you have to open the email to forward it?

Sometimes when I get a spam to my spam box, I hover over the "fake sender" and you can see the real email which usually is some weird, long type of email. I write it down and then go to my privacy settings and add it to my blocked emails.

I never open these emails, they do go automatically to the spam folder but I hate to even see them in my spam folder at all! I don't know how they get emails and it doesn't seem to help to change the password or the email!

When I see the spam email, and delete it from my spam folder, I can see part of the subject line. It makes me mad.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@dooBdoo@handygal2~

Hi! I have a question.

If you forward the spam to the spam@uce don't you have to open the email to forward it?

Sometimes when I get a spam to my spam box, I hover over the "fake sender" and you can see the real email which usually is some weird, long type of email. I write it down and then go to my privacy settings and add it to my blocked emails.

I never open these emails, they do go automatically to the spam folder but I hate to even see them in my spam folder at all! I don't know how they get emails and it doesn't seem to help to change the password or the email!

When I see the spam email, and delete it from my spam folder, I can see part of the subject line. It makes me mad.

Hi, @on the bay!   Yes, unfortunately they do want to see the complete email message -- and, as I said, also the full header info.   Otherwise, the message won't be useful.   So, they present us with a dilemma.  I don't receive much spam.   I only forward those which clearly are a sophisticated spoof/phish impersonating a company.   Otherwise, I use the "report phishing" feature in the email provider software, then I block the sender, then "delete forever" the message. 

In my experience, some providers are much better than others at stopping junk mail before we ever see it -- Gmail does a good job, for example, but Hotmail/Outlook and MSN.com accounts are pretty bad.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thanks @dooBdoo!

So you do have to open it to forward it.

And one more question. How can you tell if its a phishing scam?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

that's good to know about gmail. I don't think yahoo is very good at stopping spam before it even gets to spam.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Emails

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

Thanks @dooBdoo!

You're welcome, @on the bay!   There are many clues.   Depending on the provider, you can first have strict settings to assure most suspicious mail goes directly to the "junk."   (Adding the addresses of trusted senders in your contacts helps the software sort good messages from bad ones.)   I've noticed the valid messages from businesses normally show up in my "In box," and the fake ones show up in "junk."    Usually, doing what you're already doing by hovering the cursor over the message will tell you some things without opening the message.   You also can set the system not to open external images, which offers some protection if you do open the message.   Even though this article is directed at businesses, it's pretty good and explains better than I can (there are other articles online, too):

https://blog.returnpath.com/10-tips-on-how-to-identify-a-phishing-or-spoofing-email-v2/

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much @dooBdoo!

I was just going to tell you that I looked up info (thought duh, I could look it up) and I looked at the website you just posted! I wrote it all down so I'll remember to use itSmiley Happy

Thank you for all your great info and also @handygal2 for this thread!

So many good things to do know on these forums isn't there? I always find it here first!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Thanks @dooBdoo!

You're welcome, @on the bay!   There are many clues.   Depending on the provider, you can first have strict settings to assure most suspicious mail goes directly to the "junk."   (Adding the addresses of trusted senders in your contacts helps the software sort good messages from bad ones.)   I've noticed the valid messages from businesses normally show up in my "In box," and the fake ones show up in "junk."    Usually, doing what you're already doing by hovering the cursor over the message will tell you some things without opening the message.   You also can set the system not to open external images, which offers some protection if you do open the message.   Even though this article is directed at businesses, it's pretty good and explains better than I can (there are other articles online, too):

https://blog.returnpath.com/10-tips-on-how-to-identify-a-phishing-or-spoofing-email-v2/

@dooBdoo  Good advice! I have been using that tip about not having images open automatically. And do inspect your contact list too for spam email addresses. .....majority of spam is caught by my email system and goes directly to spam.....only rarely does spam get misdirected to my inbox....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

Here's a good You Tube Video and article from a university about phising that provides additional info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2Hk8dctDQ

https://kb.iu.edu/d/arsfhttps://kb.iu.edu/d/arsf

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing#report%20phishing%20emailshttps://www.consumer.f...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”