Honored Contributor

Scam Call From U.S. Treasury

I just got a recorded call from someone saying they were from the U.S. Treasury.  They said I needed to call them back in order to avoid legal action.  It wasn't those exact words but something like that.  I knew it was a scam, but I Googled the number and confirmed it.  Just wanted to warn people that this was going around.  I hadn't heard about this one before.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Call From U.S. Treasury

TY for that post.  The IRS, Treasury, etc. will never call you, but it's always good to be reminded.  I can't even imagine why I'd even want to call the Treasury;  the IRS, yes, but not the Treasury.

Respected Contributor

I hear so many people fall into this trap and hand over their money - sad, especially for the older folks who don't have the money to begin with.  I think many of them are calling from foreign countries.  An accent is the first tip off. 

Respected Contributor

Good grief, what will they think of next?

I love it when posters report that when they get these scam calls, they love to mess with the heads of the callers, LOL.  I've never gotten one and hope I never do, but if I should one day, I'll certainly be ready.  That guy will SO regret that he dialed my number! :-)

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I just got one too.

I didn't answer.  The number was 202 174-2493

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this information.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been getting a flood of calls daily, about 3 per day - morning and evening and often one more during the day.  Caller ID shows all caller info as...: Unavilable and sometimes numbers show every state name in the USA coast to coast.  I let the calls go to the answering machine but none have left a message.  I have no clue what is going on - probably some are Rachel with her 'congratulations' message.  Tired of it tho.

Valued Contributor

I've been getting them, too. Usually screen through caller ID, but I did open the message they left, and it was IRS scamming. Deleted it.

I also am getting calls with my daughter's name (mispronounced) but don't answer them. However, the next time, I will and tell them to stop harrassing me since we have a very aggressive AG and they can be fined $10,000 if they keep calling. I did google their number and it IS a scam/fraud. They are trying to collect on years-old credit cards, which are usually paid off, etc.

Annoying! I'm one of the older people on these boards, but I'm too savvy to fall for this kind of scam. Feel bad about others who panic and send money.

Respected Contributor

I think we should start calling these "Scum" calls.  These jerks prey on the naive & weak, of any age.  I wish there was a way to send them into another galaxy, but there isn't.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the info.  All those 'official' calls should always be considered suspect. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust