Honored Contributor

Re: Saving Parking Spots after Snow Storm

What can be shoveled out, can be shoveled in. If I returned to a space I had cleared and found a car parked in it, I would bury that car in snow up to it's roof.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

People who live in areas where parking is plentiful and accessible really don't get this. 

I have some very nice neighbors a couple doors down from me who have four cars, and spaces for 3 WHEN THERE IS NO SNOW.

When it snows, they have sometimes parked in front of our house, OK by us, but it then means that the plows can't do as good a job in front of our house as they do for other houses on the street. I don't have a solution, but I sure do get why you do what you do, OP.

I live on a side street in a very small town.

@violann, that is so true.  It seems like such a small thing but it isn't. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes,  I think you should.

I live in a cul-de-sac of townhomes and parking is at a PREMIUM. You have one spot directly in front of your house and after that, it's a free-for-all. It NEVER EVER FAILS that the ones who do NOT get out there and help to shovel the sidewalks, the cars, even the road (as the plows get there days later) are the 20 and 30 somethings as well as TAKING the spots/telling their FRIENDS to take the spots of those who have dug themselves out.

We assist the elderly folks who truly can't do this shoveling by handling it for them. With this past storm, we took shifts and those not digging brought out water to those who were. But those 20-30's folks? Never saw them UNTIL it was all done. THEN they came out and were pissed that THEIR cars had not been dug out and that the snow was right up next to their cars.

Hmm...wonder how THAT happened?

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Yes,  I think you should.

I live in a cul-de-sac of townhomes and parking is at a PREMIUM. You have one spot directly in front of your house and after that, it's a free-for-all. It NEVER EVER FAILS that the ones who do NOT get out there and help to shovel the sidewalks, the cars, even the road (as the plows get there days later) are the 20 and 30 somethings as well as TAKING the spots/telling their FRIENDS to take the spots of those who have dug themselves out.

We assist the elderly folks who truly can't do this shoveling by handling it for them. With this past storm, we took shifts and those not digging brought out water to those who were. But those 20-30's folks? Never saw them UNTIL it was all done. THEN they came out and were pissed that THEIR cars had not been dug out and that the snow was right up next to their cars.

Hmm...wonder how THAT happened?

@SahmIam, ITA.  What is it with this younger generation?  Whatever happened to being neighborly?

Honored Contributor

I think those young people would have helped if you asked them.We have a motel for our recreational use that we own with a group of friends.All of our kids are old enough to help out around the property but don't.we asked them why and they said we didn't ask and the property wasn't theirs to make the decisions about.We now ask although we don't think it should be necessary and they always pitch in...who knew.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday in our area, I went to leave my driveway and there was a car parked directly across the driveway across the street. Fortunately someone was inside texting and I knocked on the window and startled her! I said, there is an active driveway here, would you mind moving up a little?

She then asked me if I was leaving right away!! Duh, of course I was!!

People need to be more aware of where they put their cars in suburbia too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

What you are asking would be impossible to enforce.  How would you save it?  A small traffic cone that anyone could move?  How long - several hours while you are off to work or just for a short time while you run to the store?  Who is to know exactly who really cleared a spot?   A public street is, well public, and you knew that when you decided to live in that area.  Once your car is gone that spot is available for use just like any other day. 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think those young people would have helped if you asked them.We have a motel for our recreational use that we own with a group of friends.All of our kids are old enough to help out around the property but don't.we asked them why and they said we didn't ask and the property wasn't theirs to make the decisions about.We now ask although we don't think it should be necessary and they always pitch in...who knew.

What makes you think we haven't? Please, we have and parking isn't the only issue they seem to not give a ****** about. How about picking up after your dog? How about placing your trash out the night before pick up instead of a week so the birds don't pull it apart and spread it everywhere? How about picking up your garbage? How about buying a trashcan?

The list goes on. You can choose to believe me or not when I say that every person the community (cul-de-sac in this case) has had problems with is 30 something and younger. It's... interesting.

Valued Contributor

A little diversion from the parking issue in the OP, but has anyone noticed that teenagers aren't out shovelign snow for $$$?

As far back as five years ago, we wouldn't get to the snowblower before we had 3 or 4 offers to shovel.

Maybe this is only in my area.  I remember my brother and his friends teaming up and making lots of spending $$$ during the winter.

I don't think it is fair to take advantage of a parking spot created by someone else's shoveling efforts.  But I am not surprised at all in today's world.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

Yes, you cleared it. It is common to save spots where I live. 

How do you save the spot?