Honored Contributor

Re: Sarah Jessica Parker Re: Epi Pen hike

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Sarah Jessica Parker was the face of Mylan, the pharma co. that makes the EpiPen, but has resigned. Kudos to her!

Sarah Jessica Parker has stepped down as the face of pharma company Mylan after it emerged the company had raised the price of its life-saving EpiPens by 548 per cent.

In a post on Instagram Thursday, the 'Sex and the City' actress said she was 'disappointed, saddened and deeply concerned' and called for Mylan to reverse the price hike.

'Disappointed': Parker said Thursday she was 'disappointed' to learn the company had hiked prices for EpiPens, which stop fatal allergies like her son's, by 548 per cent to $608 for two

I know why I've always liked her.  Like her even more now.

ITA!  I've always liked her!!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Sadly, our pharmacy told me that they are just one of the drugs that have increased their prices.  Believe me, drug prices will NOT go down, period.

I have one prescription that increased from $66.00 in April to $300.00 in June, welcome to healthcare.  Buckle your seatbelts people, it's going to be a BUMPY ride.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I haven't read this entire thread, but what about the Auvi-Q?  Isn't that a competitor to the EpiPen?  Can people switch to that in some or all cases?

@Ms X

I keep wondering why people aren't using the Adrenaclick instead of the EpiPen.   I read their two pack is $144 at Walmart.  

What is stopping them from switching to Adrenaclick?

Image result for Adrenaclick pen photo

Respected Contributor

I read that SJP's son is allergic to peanuts and hazelenuts and uses the pen. She spoke out about the increase in cost and how its going to effect the people who need this pen and how they may not be able to afford it, and in good conscience could not be a spokes person for this company no longer. Good For Her!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I haven't read this entire thread, but what about the Auvi-Q?  Isn't that a competitor to the EpiPen?  Can people switch to that in some or all cases?

@Ms X

I keep wondering why people aren't using the Adrenaclick instead of the EpiPen.   I read their two pack is $144 at Walmart.  

What is stopping them from switching to Adrenaclick?

This could be a factor:

http://www.newser.com/story/230113/theres-a-cheaper-epipen-but-theres-a-catch.html

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

Yes, I've heard about this, but how hard is it for people to learn how to self-inject?      I can tell you .... not difficult, at all.    As I mentioned previously, I self-inject Enbrel weekly with their Sure-click pen ..... not a big deal, at all.  

If someone's MD or nurse hasn't got the time, the Pharmacist can do so .... and I'm sure the company also has a video on their website.

Respected Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

The daughter of a US senator from West Va. is the CEO of Mylan.   Shame on her.  The senator is Joe Manchin.

Yep and not only that - her income went from something close to $2M a year to $18M - when u hear that it makes her excuse so shallow and worthless.

Honored Contributor

With all the 'Hellz Yeah'', 'Good for her!', 'She has morals!' 

accolades flying about for Sarah Jessica Parker,

yes, it's good she's backing out.....now.....

BUT.......

it really makes her look stupid...and I still question her ethics.

Go to any search engine, type a company's name &

the words 'stock price' and you can get a history of said stock.

Can't make me believe she didn't know all this info.

Can't make me believe her manager didn't know all this info.

And that almost makes it WORSE than if she continued

promoting Mylan products....knowingly signing a contract to

promote a product w/ a questionable stock history.

Everyone need to taps the brakes &

really unpack this for what it actually means.

She knew. She cashed the checks. Comes out smelling like a rose.

Yeeeeeah....no. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Yes, I've heard about this, but how hard is it for people to learn how to self-inject?      I can tell you .... not difficult, at all.    As I mentioned previously, I self-inject Enbrel weekly with their Sure-click pen ..... not a big deal, at all.  

If someone's MD or nurse hasn't got the time, the Pharmacist can do so .... and I'm sure the company also has a video on their website.

@Tinkrbl44, What are you talking about?  If someone is in need of one of those shots immediately, you assume they will be near a pharmacists?  If you read the story (which I doubt) you'd know that most of them don't know how to use this injector.

I said it "might be" a factor.  When you have a condition and need a life saving medication immediately, do you think they should drive around to find a nurse or a pharmacist?  This makes no sense.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Do I have it correct that the alternative is a med by way of a syringe?

That would be a problem when the EPI pen is so quick.  I've done it.  Remove top, jam short needle through your clothes into the side of your thigh and press the plunger.  Faster than a regular injection.