Honored Contributor

Re: Sarah Jessica Parker Re: Epi Pen hike

Good move by SJP.

Of course - it's easy for her to take the high road and giv up that endorsement.  She can afford whatever medicine costs.

We have bizarre values sometimes.  It's good, we think, for stars and athletes to earn millions and millions.  It's not good for scientitists and pharm company employees to earn similar salaries. 

Only government can come in and solve this -  but we don't seem to want big government any longer, so things could get far worse before thy get better again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Disneylandfan wrote:

A problem I see with using a syringe versus the epi pen is hesitation.  I'm a teacher and while the epi pen still causes apprehension you're not seeing the needle so it's easier to administer.

I say this because I used to have to give my horse shots weekly.  The first few times was really difficult-and we're talking about a large animal that hardly felt the injection.  It took several times before I didn't feel apprehensive and hesitated.  Most likely most teachers are not going to have that type of practice.

Now make that a child and you're the teacher in a life saving moment.  Trying to inject a syringe is mentally very difficult.  I think the epi pen's allure is that you don't see the injection so the scariness is reduced.

@Disneylandfan I so agree with this.  I took care of my mom for a long time and she was very not interested in eating healthy for the last 15 years of her life.  As her diabetes worsened, I was confronted with having to give her insulin shots which I totally freaked out over.  I had a hard enough time taking her daily blood tests with the pin ******.

I am ashamed to say God bless Januvia as it brought her levels back down to a normal range but again with a better diet this expensive drug would not have been necessary.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

I believe chances are that SJP and her manager are just like the majority of Americans, they had no clue as to what the company charged for any of the medications they make.  Most people don't and haven't had to due to insurance covering or only having co-payments.

So I do salute her for taking a stand when she found out.  Good for her!

@pitdakota

I salute her also.  Her leaving has been a real statement against the rise in cost and the CEO of the company.

There is no evidence that she knew anything untoward and failed to act.  Just another witch hunt.

@Noel7, I am getting ready to go out, but came back to shut the laptop down and saw your notification.  Yes, the real culprit is the company.  End of subject.  Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

Companies have been doing this for years but previously no one really knew because insurance companies paid the cost.  Remember the 80%, 20% coverage of health insurance in the old days?  It took an act of Congress at times to get an itemized bill for anything.  That is what actually led to HMOs.  But that is another story.  Now, with co-pays and people paying out of pocket expenses the public is starting to just get a glimpse of what has been going on in the healthcare industry for decades!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

A problem I see with using a syringe versus the epi pen is hesitation.  I'm a teacher and while the epi pen still causes apprehension you're not seeing the needle so it's easier to administer.

I say this because I used to have to give my horse shots weekly.  The first few times was really difficult-and we're talking about a large animal that hardly felt the injection.  It took several times before I didn't feel apprehensive and hesitated.  Most likely most teachers are not going to have that type of practice.

Now make that a child and you're the teacher in a life saving moment.  Trying to inject a syringe is mentally very difficult.  I think the epi pen's allure is that you don't see the injection so the scariness is reduced.

I think there might be some confusion about what a syringe actually is in the discussion between the difference between these 2 products.

A syringe is actually only the vessel that holds a liquid medication of some sort that is going to be injected somewhere.  A syringe does not  necessarily have to have a needle.  We use syringes in the pediatric setting to draw up liquids and administer medications to young children by mouth, all without a needle.

The EipPen has a syringe as well. All self-injectors have syringes that contain a particular dosage of a medication.

I think what started the discussion earlier in the thread is the situation of having a syringe, needle, and ampule requiring someone to drawi up the medication yourself before administering.  That is very tricky and is not desirable in an emergency setting for self injection.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

I think there might be some confusion about what a syringe actually is in the discussion between the difference between these 2 products.

A syringe is actually only the vessel that holds a liquid medication of some sort that is going to be injected somewhere.  A syringe does not  necessarily have to have a needle.  We use syringes in the pediatric setting to draw up liquids and administer medications to young children by mouth, all without a needle.

The EipPen has a syringe as well. All self-injectors have syringes that contain a particular dosage of a medication.

I think what started the discussion earlier in the thread is the situation of having a syringe, needle, and ampule requiring someone to drawi up the medication yourself before administering.  That is very tricky and is not desirable in an emergency setting for self injection.

No confusion.  To deliver epinephrine there will need to be a needle attached to that syringe. Maybe you should reread my post to get the point I was making. I know what an epipen is I have one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

Very good observation.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Yes, I've heard about this, but how hard is it for people to learn how to self-inject?      I can tell you .... not difficult, at all.    As I mentioned previously, I self-inject Enbrel weekly with their Sure-click pen ..... not a big deal, at all.  

If someone's MD or nurse hasn't got the time, the Pharmacist can do so .... and I'm sure the company also has a video on their website.

@Tinkrbl44, What are you talking about?  If someone is in need of one of those shots immediately, you assume they will be near a pharmacists?  If you read the story (which I doubt) you'd know that most of them don't know how to use this injector.

I said it "might be" a factor.  When you have a condition and need a life saving medication immediately, do you think they should drive around to find a nurse or a pharmacist?  This makes no sense.  

@itiswhatitis

I guess I was unclear ..........  

I was talking about when the person is (1) at their doctor's appointment and the prescription is written ..... or (2) when it is filled for the first time (the Pharmacist does a consult for 1st time prescrips) ......  or (3) when the person gets home and opens the package to familiarize themselves with how the pen works.  Most websites have a video demonstrating use.   (4)  There are also demos for the 3 most common adrenaline pens on YOUTUBE.    

My point was that you learn to use the pen BEFORE  you actually need to use it.   So sorry if my comments above were confusing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Yes, I've heard about this, but how hard is it for people to learn how to self-inject?      I can tell you .... not difficult, at all.    As I mentioned previously, I self-inject Enbrel weekly with their Sure-click pen ..... not a big deal, at all.  

If someone's MD or nurse hasn't got the time, the Pharmacist can do so .... and I'm sure the company also has a video on their website.

@Tinkrbl44, What are you talking about?  If someone is in need of one of those shots immediately, you assume they will be near a pharmacists?  If you read the story (which I doubt) you'd know that most of them don't know how to use this injector.

I said it "might be" a factor.  When you have a condition and need a life saving medication immediately, do you think they should drive around to find a nurse or a pharmacist?  This makes no sense.  

@itiswhatitis

I guess I was unclear ..........  

I was talking about when the person is at their doctor's appointment and the prescription is written ..... or when it is filled for the first time (the Pharmacist does a consult for 1st time prescrips) ......  or when the person gets home and opens the package to familiarize themselves with how the pen works.  Most websites have a video demonstrating use.  

You learn to use the pen BEFORE  you actually need to use it.   Sorry if my comments above were confusing.

Thank you for the clarification @Tinkrbl44.  Now it most definitely makes sense.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

I looked to find a patient education video for the Adrenaclick so maybe the video will help.

Self injectors all work along the same prinicples.  They just may have a few differences, but they are basically the same operation for patients.

Here is the website with the instructional video:

http://www.adrenaclick.com/how_to_use_adrenaclick_epinephrine_injection_USP_auto_injector.php

@pitdakota

Obviously, the best resource is from the company .... but you can even find  good demos on Youtube ..... instructions for using the self-inject pens are everywhere!

Honored Contributor

She can afford it but cares that others can't. Not every celebrity and/or wealthy person is like that.

I just ordered her new perfume, would have anyway but now I am proud to buy a product by someone who has these standards. Just wish I could afford a pair of her shoes Smiley Very Happy

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"