Honored Contributor

Re: Sad About Frank Gifford Having CTE for Years

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

The man was over 80 years old, IDK why they would think a football injury was affecting him, my gosh how many years had it been since he'd been on the field? More likely he had a little dementia or something although evidently he was in pretty good shape as he was still living at home, etc.

From this website: Hope it answers some of the questions you have about this disease.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/basics/tests-diagnosi...

"There currently is no definitive test for CTE while people are alive. A diagnosis requires evidence of degeneration of brain tissue, and deposits of tau and other proteins in the brain that are visible only upon inspection after death (autopsy). Some researchers are actively trying to find a test for CTE that can be used while people are alive. Others continue to study the brains of deceased individuals who may have had CTE, such as football players.

Eventually, the hope is to use a range of neuropsychological tests, brain imaging and biomarkers to diagnose CTE. In particular, imaging of amyloids and tau — types of proteins — will aid in diagnosis."

The article goes on in detail about which tests are used to diagnose mild CTE.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I think we'll see cases of CTE in hockey and soccer players in the coming years.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I think we'll see cases of CTE in hockey and soccer players in the coming years.  

It has already been seen in hockey players. Since some in the media still don't see hockey as a Major League sport, most are not aware of this. That is very unfortunate on both counts.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

If you're going to ban a sport for concussions, then pairs figure skating should be the first sport banned. Both partners in pairs figure skating typically end up with multiple concussions from their practice/rehearsal sessions. Falling and bouncing one's head on the ice is routine. The male partner getting clobbered in the head by the elbow of his female partner as he either throws her or catches her as she's spinning is so routine that pretty much every male pairs partner has had a broken nose or jaw.

You can find a lot of football players and hockey players who never suffer a traumatic brain injury, but good luck finding even one pair figure skater who hasn't. And, they don't generally make millions and millions of dollars.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think concussions will ultimately be found to be a contributing factor to the mental health issues, but I'd be shocked to find they were the full cause. Recreational and performance enhancing drugs are routinely used by professional football players and many/most of those can and do affect cognitive capabilities. Over time pretty much everyone loses some measure of their cognitive capabilities. I've got an 88 year old mother now with advanced dementia who to the best of my knowledge never had a traumatic brain injury or used an illegal drug. I know she never played NFL football. I'm not saying concussions are harmless, I'm just saying that I think too many people are looking at them as 'the cause' when in fact they're likely just one piece of the puzzle and possibly not even the key piece.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

He lived VERY WELL until the age of 84.

I personally abhor contact sports that are focused on causing/receving physical injury.

The sport CAN be revised to eliminate physical assault bu the botom line will then become "Will people pay the price to watch a safe sport?".

I have my doubts.

Respected Contributor

everyone talks about football being barbaric and even though it's rough, tough and brutal, boxing is my idea of barbaric.  now there is a sport that needs to be curtailed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I personally abhor contact sports that are focused on causing/receving physical injury.

What contact sports  do you see  "that are focused on causing/receiving physical injury? Right off hand I can't think of 1 team sport where that is the focus.

I also don't know 1 team sport has "physical assault" as a part of it's objective goal, which is scoring more than the opposing team. Off the playing surface "legal physical assault" are not the same standards used during a certified team sport contest, thank goodness. In our over PC'D world of today, some see assault when someone disagrees with them.

I am very aware of what constitutes "legal physical assault" that however is not the same in any legal contact sport that I am familiar with at this time.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get your point, John, and I know it's important to you. What I'm thinking of is unintentional, but integral to the game. I used to follow Gifford a bit when he was playing and I know I never saw the film clip of the game in which he was knocked unconscious.

I said "personally" because I don't expect everyone to agree on this.

If I say instead any sport that contains and encourages activity that within the rules of the sport sanctions actions that may lead to permanent disability, can we agree on that?

I think pro football is in that category, and pro hockey too.

I'd welcome your correction if you think my observation is wrong, although I think you'd have a hard time proving a mind set for all the players in any given sports.

Would you agree that most pro athletes could unintentionally be responsible for serious injuries when focused ( as professionals must be) on scoring? Was he broken leg during the National League playoffs an unfortunate accident with no aggressive intent by the base runner?

Do you think players would support safety based changes in sports at the professional level? 

I don't get the point about "PC".

Super Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

everyone talks about football being barbaric and even though it's rough, tough and brutal, boxing is my idea of barbaric.  now there is a sport that needs to be curtailed. 

I know what you mean.   I have all the respect for Mohammad Ali, he's a great man and lives right here in Phx.     I loved the Rocky movies, but I could never understand nor appreciate boxing.   It is an odd sport, two people hitting each other and people yelling for more and more.    It's good to know self defense, but as a sport, I just never got it.  I guess it makes the bookies and gamblers rich.