Honored Contributor

Re: Sad About Frank Gifford Having CTE for Years

@baker wrote:

My husband thinks this diagnosis is Kathy's way to explain Frank's infidelity.

I think that old saying - "If they cheat with you they will cheat on you" probably better explains that. 

Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The NFL is never going to stop football as long as the money rolls in from sponsors, concessions and arenas that keep being built with tax money.

We can have many people homeless on our streets, or lack of services to people but heaven forbid we do not have a state of the art arena to view this barbaric sport in our major cities.

I have to wonder if some of the behavior of some of the players is caused by the CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) starting to change their brains already.

Pro football has become a gladiator sport.   People watch to see the violence and the hits.    The players don't care if they hurt an opposing player.  Remember when New Orleans' players were told to hurt their opponents?    It's all about money and more money.

I'll take professional tennis over football anyday.    

Respected Contributor

these kids (men) love this sport and will play regardless of the consequences.  they feel invincible that it can't happen to them and when they hear that frank gifford had it at 84 that really means nothing to them.  the money and fame is everything and they're hoping it will last as long as possible.

boxing is the most barbaric imo and then they need to somehow make the football teams more accountable.

Honored Contributor

I don't like football, and I never did.  It's a dangerous sport.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

If is that it, it sure took a while to show up. He lived a long life.

There are players in their 40's who have severe impairment from brain injury from playing. How do they support their families or themselves at such a young age? 

Gifford had a long career after he played. Many aren't as fortunate as Gifford was.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hot Street wrote:

Very sad he struggled with this brain injury disease after getting hurt playing football.

I hope the NFL will take note and finally start protecting players!

As long as there are " hard hits " there is NO equipment that can completely protect the human brain in any hard contact sport.

Until a genius finds a way to prevent the brain from moving within the skull, brain injuries will be the risk when choosing to play any sport where physical contact is one of the main objectives of the game.

Forget the NFL, many brain injuries happen before playing high school level football. The same is true for youth playing ice hockey, as contact is part of the game.

Bigger/stronger/faster kids, add heavier, supposedly more protective helmets? Harder hits/more weight " on the head "? The brain IS going to move around. 

People have to weigh the risks versus rewards of playing any level of contact sports. Several deceased  NHL players have also donated their brains to science. Maybe someday they will find this elusive answer, but I have a feeling that day is a long way into the future.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I need to read up on this .....   first they say that Frank "suffered" from this, but then they said that it cannot be diagnosed until after death via autopsy.     Maybe it's just semantics here, but if he was "suffering" from this, wouldn't his wife and/or doctor have realized this?

I rhink he had cognitive issues...so they knew something was going on...but it can't be definitively diagnosed until an autopsy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The NFL is never going to stop football as long as the money rolls in from sponsors, concessions and arenas that keep being built with tax money.

We can have many people homeless on our streets, or lack of services to people but heaven forbid we do not have a state of the art arena to view this barbaric sport in our major cities.

I have to wonder if some of the behavior of some of the players is caused by the CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) starting to change their brains already.

So how do you REALLY feel about football, JustJazzmom????

I have to agree, even though I have been close to pro athletes. It's not worth the risk.

After I found out the true nature of their injuries, the violence they inflict on each other...and how they are encouraged to play through pain, I liked football even less than before!!!

It's guys who take steroids to get as big as Clydsdales standing around. The plays last about 30 seconds, end in huge steaming piles of men gouging each others' eyes and kicking each others kidneys...then they stand up and wait around some more.

Little action, lots of violence...drunks in the stands cheering on the spectacle.

Esteemed Contributor

The man was over 80 years old, IDK why they would think a football injury was affecting him, my gosh how many years had it been since he'd been on the field? More likely he had a little dementia or something although evidently he was in pretty good shape as he was still living at home, etc.

Respected Contributor

I had a friend of the family that died in his early 50's due to some type of dementia. He had started having some mental issues and ended up in a place to handle serious issues. The wife decided to have the test done on the brain because his children thought they would inheirit it. The test did confirm the cause of it being from the jolting action of the brain. He only played high school football. The wife was glad she was able to tell the children what had caused it. It was really rough on this family. I am not sure that people at that time thought of all the risks from playing high school football.

doxie