Trusted Contributor

Sad About Frank Gifford Having CTE for Years

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/frank-giffords-family-says-hall-of-famer-had-signs-of-ct...

Very sad he struggled with this brain injury disease after getting hurt playing football.

I hope the NFL will take note and finally start protecting players!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sad About Frank Gifford Having CTE for Years

How? It's a violent game, and that's what people want to see. What on earth could they do to stop the hits to the head outside of playing flag football?

Trusted Contributor

Better protective gear.   Violations for overly aggressive behavior.

Better medical attention.    Keeping injured players off the field and not having football be about only $$$$$$$.

QB for Rams last week was put back into the game after suffering a concussion.

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

How? It's a violent game, and that's what people want to see. What on earth could they do to stop the hits to the head outside of playing flag football?

i agree, no helmet is going to protect the brain from the jarring that occurs.  the only thing that will stop it is if secondary schools stop football.  it is a mystery to me how any parent can let their children play football.  just a mystery.  

Honored Contributor

As long as the American public pays for and loves violence it will continue. 

Esteemed Contributor

Per a number of articles I've read in the last year or so, the medical community has been taking this very seriously, but the NFL has yet to jump on board. I've heard "talk," but still wonder if the NFL is going to let bucks determine the outcome of this serious and life-threatening disorder.

Just saw an article today about a new and buffed up collar which prevents the whipping action of the head, when a body blow is received.  (Somewhat similar to the helmet re-design by NASCAR after the death of Dale Earnhardt, who was wearing an old school helmet.) During each of these blows, the brain is tossed about within the confines of the skull and the brain stem is particularly vulnerable.

Anyone who has participated in any physical sport (that rules out games of mental might vs games of physical might) are subject to brain injury.  I've received eleven concussions in my lifetime and wonder the consequences that will beset me.  When I cannot instantly recall a noun, for instance, I remember the field hockey goalie who smashed in the left side of my face, which left me unconscious on the field.

NFL:  It's time to do something good for the sport.

Honored Contributor

yeah, I heard this from another room and had to come in and see what they were saying. These head injuries are so scary! With the helmets and all, but that's a rough game! I just wonder how many former players had these injuries and something medically bad happened to them and no one knew. That's so scary!

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

i agree, no helmet is going to protect the brain from the jarring that occurs.  the only thing that will stop it is if secondary schools stop football.  it is a mystery to me how any parent can let their children play football.  just a mystery.  

ITA with you!

Locally fewer kids are playing football in high school. Some schools didn't even have enough kids to field a team!

That, to me, is progress.

My son's father was an NHL hockey player (and he suffered a serious head injury before helmets were mandatory). His godfather played in the NFL. My son NEVER wanted to play either sport - he said he didn't want to get beat up like they were!

He played lacrosse and basketball - pretty intense too - but not like football.

More and more parents are seeing that the risks of football outweigh any benefits.

Esteemed Contributor

Football will be played until each player makes the decision that his future brain health is more important than the big money he's earning today. That is a tough decision for many. I don't see it happening because it's human nature to think it won't happen to me. Just look at the number of people who still smoke or don't use seat belts, and there's no financial lure there.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I think football's time has come and gone. There is no way to truly protect players and I think when the extent of head injuries is discovered the "cost" to the players future health will become a BIG issue or at least it should! $$$ usually wins though.. But that's ok because we still have those wonderful "Boys of Summer".