Super Contributor

SPIDER WEBS OR COB WEBS... The difference?

I call them spider webs...{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

A house is not a home without a cat!
Respected Contributor

Re: SPIDER WEBS OR COB WEBS... The difference?

I say cob webs

Honored Contributor

Spider webs are made by spiders to catch prey to eat and cobwebs are just an accumulation of dust from not cleaning something.
Super Contributor

On 3/21/2014 happy housewife said: Spider webs are made by spiders to catch prey to eat and cobwebs are just an accumulation of dust from not cleaning something.

What she said.

Super Contributor

You mean 'hoarder' dust? Webs with dust bunnies sounds better to me than spider webs or cob webs! What's a 'cob' and how do they spin that web?

Spider webs (outside please) are beautiful! The ones in the corners of my living room - not so much

JUST did all my walls and corners the other day. WHAT THE? Noticed one in the early morning light (the sun was actually SHINING!) and that sent me on a 'tour'. ugh.

Respected Contributor

I think cob webs are abandoned spider webs that collect dust.

Valued Contributor

Everything you could possibly want to know about spider webs vs. cobwebs:

Spiders make both cobwebs and spider webs. The main difference between cobwebs and spider webs is that spiders do not live in cobwebs. Cobwebs are abandoned and left behind to collect dust and other particles. This gives them their thick, gray appearance such as those seen in haunted houses, which have also been abandoned.

Another difference between the two webs is that spider webs are more elegant to the haphazardly designed cobwebs. The spiders that design the more elaborate webs are from the Araneidae family. This family of spiders generally builds their webs outdoors and includes the common garden spiders and orb spinners. They spin new webs daily and consume the old; therefore, their webs are not left to collect debris.

The Theridiidae spider family makes the less intricate cobwebs. This spider family includes cobwebs spiders and comb footed spiders; the Black Widow is also from this spider family. They generally build their webs indoors. These webs once abandoned become the dusty webs left in the corners of the walls of our homes.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Respected Contributor

Hey Sue! I was right! ...and now, I have the creepy crawlies thinking about black widow spiders....

Valued Contributor

On 3/21/2014 beammeupscottie said:

Hey Sue! I was right! ...and now, I have the creepy crawlies thinking about black widow spiders....

Me, too!

Hate spiders - especially black widow and brown recluse. I'm always examining the spiders I kill for the telltale markings of those particular spiders. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 SuiGeneris said:
On 3/21/2014 beammeupscottie said:

Me, too!

Hate spiders - especially black widow and brown recluse. I'm always examining the spiders I kill for the telltale markings of those particular spiders. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I always wear gloves when sorting laundry. "they" say they hide in dirty clothes!