Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte...his behavior/lies continue...

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

None of it embarrasses me.  I prefer to acknowledge the amazing things accomplished by all of the other Americans.

I don't know (and none of us REALLY knows) what went on.  I don't really care.  I think he's gotten too much publicity as it is.  It takes away from all of the other amazing Americans who brought home a medal.

I also chose to recognize the accomplishments of all of the Americans who competed (but didn't win a medal).  They did an excellent job representing our Country.

Let us not forget all of the Americans who went there to see the Olympics (family, friends and fans).  They did nothing wrong.  

I hope none of the above mentioned is embarrassed either.  I'm not apologizing for something a few immature males did.  

@Annabellethecat66- your opinion is reasonable but what about our athletes who won medals for less popular events whose families sacrifice so much and the athletes themselves who work so hard toward their ultimate goal.  No one is talking about them and they are not even mentioned because the headlines are about this jerk

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I ran across this article too late to catch the preview of the Matt Lauer interview scheduled for Monday but these pictures really grind my gears as NBC sent a private plane to fly him and his girlfriend to NYC to try and defend his pretty much indefensible behavior:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3750943/Lochte-breaks-cover-Disgraced-swimmer-lands-North-Ca...

He's only sad because it finally seeped into his noggin that his endorsement deals were dropping faster than that sign he ripped off the wall at that gas station in Rio . . . sigh.

What really irritated me was that he danced around culpability, saying it was his immature behavior because he hadn't been drinking before and had too much... He spoke as if his behavior were separate from him! He embarrassed the USA, his team mates, the Olympics, and Rio! Ok, he was a drunken baby! I have never known any drunks who were decent people when sober, to vandalize anything or leave and let others take the fall! I hope he's banned for life! I wouldn't feel that way if his apology had been heart felt and he had taken full responsibility for his actions! What a loser! They should also take his medal away!

To be honest, I haven't even watched his Matt Lauer interview because I am done with this fiasco.  He is not a child but acted like one and then lied on TV about what "happened".

He is completely off of my radar at this point but I do have concerns and good thoughts and hopes for the younger swimmers that were dragged into this as clearly this is all on Lochte (and for me right now NBC).  I so hope the USOC and the US Swim Committee cut these guys some slack and don't hold them accountable for Lochte's childish actions.

Honored Contributor

I think for those of us who have lived in different countries and extensively visited different countries, it's easy to understand the embarrassment factor.   It is embarrassing because they are there representing this country.

Of course that doesn't mean that everybody is bad.  But it sure does put a bad tinge and bring up the whole 'ugly American' thing.

Having lived outside of the country, I saw plenty of that and every single time, yes, I was embarrassed for myself and the rest of us who don't act like that.

He and his cohorts are an embarrassment.  They are way old enough to know better to just set out to be destructive and disrespectful.  Unfortunately, for them, they were caught.

I would definitely vote for pulling the medals of those involved.  That doesn't tarnish anything for the others.  But it shows that it is very wrong to go to another country (or even not) and act like an awful person.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think for those of us who have lived in different countries and extensively visited different countries, it's easy to understand the embarrassment factor.   It is embarrassing because they are there representing this country.

Of course that doesn't mean that everybody is bad.  But it sure does put a bad tinge and bring up the whole 'ugly American' thing.

Having lived outside of the country, I saw plenty of that and every single time, yes, I was embarrassed for myself and the rest of us who don't act like that.

He and his cohorts are an embarrassment.  They are way old enough to know better to just set out to be destructive and disrespectful.  Unfortunately, for them, they were caught.

I would definitely vote for pulling the medals of those involved.  That doesn't tarnish anything for the others.  But it shows that it is very wrong to go to another country (or even not) and act like an awful person.

@chickenbutt- I am all for pulling the medals or putting a postscript that shows a shadow was cast over their achievement.  Maybe I wouldn't penalize the younger swimmers as much as it seems RL did the damage and hung them out to dry and pay fines.....

Honored Contributor

Good point, Stray, as to who was primarily culpable.  I concur!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

No,he still doesn't get it.  He's still acting like a victim.  At 32, you wonder if he will ever get it.  He has embarrassed his country and teammates and cost himself millions of dollars. Coddled,immature dunce.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Yes, I am embarrassed and incensed that someone who represents ME in a foreign country on the world wide stage would vandalize it and then Lie when confronted.  Oh, hold on, HE fled the country before the truth came out.  Shame on him and his actions.  You don't get invited to someones house, trash the bathroom then lie through your teeth because you know you did wrong. Oh, wait,  if you're American you do.  Thanks Ryan and Co. for adding fuel to that world view of Ameriacans.  

@candys mine  That is exactly how I feel...glad I'm not alone Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I don't think you can take away an athlete's, medals, awards, etc., because of off field bad behavior.

They didnt win win the Gold Medal, Heisman Trophy, Cy Young, etc. because of their exemplary character, they won because of their on field performance ! 

I think the only way their awards might be stripped would be, if it can be proven they cheated. 

Proving cheating, in many sports, after the fact, is very tough. Look at athletes like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, in Baseball. The steroid scandal, will forever taint their legacy, but, no one doubts they were great athletes, without steroids. How much did they really help? Sad for the game, the fans, and the athletes, to 

leave brilliant careers, overshadowed by weak Character! 

How about Pete Rose?  Off the field, he knowingly engaged in behavior, that earned him, a lifetime ban, from Baseball. Millions of people believe that ban should be lifted; he should be eligible for the Hall of Fame; enough punishment, they say. On the field, he exemplified, a player, who, with heart, dedication, hard work, and love for the game, rode a decent talent, but, certainly not a great, natural gift, to becoming one of the games great players. 

Boy, do I digress! And I really am done, with the topic😉🙃😳

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

No,he still doesn't get it.  He's still acting like a victim.  At 32, you wonder if he will ever get it.  He has embarrassed his country and teammates and cost himself millions of dollars. Coddled,immature dunce.

Haven't read all the comments, so apologies if I'm repeating something already said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Lochte on Dr. Phil.  Once the sponsors fall away (and I think they should), he'll need to do something to stay in the spotlight.  Sad that this will be one of the things that most people remember about the Rio Olympics.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

He 's not to bright. Is he ??

He is young, and alcohol is that mixer that just screws up lives. I think he is bright, he just made bad choices drunk.

He's not that young.

If you watched his reality show, he isn't too bright.

As an aside, I'm not sure why posters insist on bringing Michael Phelps into this.