Honored Contributor

Re: Rudeness In Stores Not Caring About Customers!

@occasionalrain wrote:

Scent is subjective, what is pleasing to one is nauseating to another. We can avert our eyes when something disgusts us but not our noses or our ears. It's presumptuous to force strangers to smell us. While few of us want to hear the cell conversations of strangers, hearing what should be private won't affect our health.

@occasionalrainGreat post!  You hit "the nail on the head" on both counts!

Honored Contributor

I think some people lose their ability to smell as they age.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

welcome to the 21st century.  society is "reaping what it sowed"  remember---"can't hurt their self esteem"?  hello, the chickens have now come home!

hnj

Absolutely, 100% agree!!!

Honored Contributor

With perfumes it isn't What the scent is as much as how much they are wearing.  Some people drench themselves in it, and no matter how nice a scent it is it gags you. You should not be able to smell someone's perfume unless you are very close to them, like almost hugging them. To be able to smell someone's perfume in the next grocery store aisle - OMG - she must have bathed herself in it. And that is an issue for people who have allergies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a reason scent comes in a measured spray - and one spray is enough.

Super Contributor

While I agree with you regarding how rude people are now, I have to comment on the scent issue.

I love scent, but I have reached a point where almost all of it causes me to have an immediate and sometimes severe reaction - I start wheezing, my sinuses start running, and after a few minutes I can literally be gasping for air and have to use an inhaler.  It's not all scent, and I can even find the actual smell pleasant and still have this happen. The worst for me seem to be any Estee Lauder fragrance - especially Beautiful.  I actually get hives on my neck and arms from smelling that one.  I work in healthcare and see many senior patients.  The worst are always the beautifully dressed and well presented women - I can often smell them before they are close enough for me to greet.  Imagine being shut in a room with them for 20-30 minutes!  It's torturous for me at times.  I never say anything unless they ask me why I am sneezing, and wheezing, and (at times) gasping for air.  Then I am honest and tell them I am sensitive to their fragrance, which smells lovely, just adversely impacts me.  Many of these people will say they have been wearing it for years, etc. and I have the same theory as some other posters - they can't tell how much they are applying, and overdo it.  It's proven that sense of smell does decrease with age, as well.

So, PLEASE - do not wear fragrances when you know you will be in an enclosed area with anyone.  Knowing that there are people out there who have real and pronounced physical reactions to it is just as bad as being rude as those you are admonishing.

Honored Contributor

I honestly think people become "nose blind" when wearing certain scents over all the years.  Myself, I lean more towards a light dusting powder the older I've gotten.  And being a former medical person myself, I am, too, well aware of how much patients can splash on.  Last place to wear a strong scent is to any medical facilty, Doctor's office, hospital or anywhere there are patients.  

I have allergic rhinitis & would never say anything in public to anyone about their strong perfume.  I cover my nose and go on about my business.  But I agree, it sure smells better than someone that hasn't bathed or cut the cheese.

I've noticed some checkers in stores have become more forward, for lack of better word, and I must say customers of all ages have as well.  It's like, it's all about me & I can say what I like!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Oh, how sad, but try not to label people in general.  There are still enough nice people around to outweigh the bad.  Sometimes just making a small comment back to rude person will trigger the niceness in them.  I've witnessed a lot of apologies.  We're all subject to a bad day every so often, and don't have intentions of insulting people .

Honored Contributor

Last week hubby and I split a salad at Smashburger, when the person brought over the salad, she said oh are you splitting  I will get you another bowl. Ten minutes goes by and no bowl so I stop her and she says oh we are washing it, another 5 minutes goes by and another person brings out a bowl, which reeked of bleach and I say it smells like bleach to which she replies. I CANT DEAL WITH YOU , or some such thing.

Service was beyond horrible and the servers were rude. This is the first and last time well will go to this location

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Last week hubby and I split a salad at Smashburger, when the person brought over the salad, she said oh are you splitting  I will get you another bowl. Ten minutes goes by and no bowl so I stop her and she says oh we are washing it, another 5 minutes goes by and another person brings out a bowl, which reeked of bleach and I say it smells like bleach to which she replies. I CANT DEAL WITH YOU , or some such thing.

Service was beyond horrible and the servers were rude. This is the first and last time well will go to this location

I hope no tip, and that you spoke to someone in charge this. How can they correct a behavior, if they have no knowledge about it?  Tell them. The owners of the store/shop/restaurant, may not have done this to you, so don't hurt their business. I say, let it be brought to their attention on why they could be losing customers. That seems fair.