Respected Contributor

Re: Rudeness In Stores Not Caring About Customers!

[ Edited ]

I wrote that it is not necessary to say everything we think.  Why was the person in the next line or the cashier feeling the need to comment at all?  For example,I used to be fat. People often made rude comments about fat people,or actually to my face. It was embarrassing and hurtful to me. I honestly would have preferred them keep their rude traps shut when I was around . They could talk about me behind my back ALL day long. I wouldn't know. But in public, especially to an older person...inexcusable. Imagine if that was your loved one, sweet mom who has lost some of her sense of smell as older people do,or anyone you know. Surely you would choose good manners. And yes, good manners and kindness in public go a long way!   

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@birkin baby wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

So it is okay to call people rude, say they do not care, and they have no manners, but it is not okay to comment on a fragrance?

Outloud? No,it really is not ok. Why hurt someone's feelings? It's not like they were handcuffed to the lady or in a car on a long ride. It was rude,and showed no class. A store employee should know better.  I don't know why people now days feel they should say whatever they think. I probably would have said something to the store manager.  

Talk about them behind their back, so that way we have good manners?

Contributor

I also have noticed how rude the people are here in Michigan. We spent the winter in Florida, and my husband and I were amazed how much kinder, thoughtful and polite the cashiers and people are down there. The elderly are treated with respect. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is terrible. First I would have spoken loudly and let the cashier know she was completely out of line and then I would have asked right then and there for her manager to be sent over so I could inform him what a completely rude half wit they had working for them. Then I probably would have looked at the lady who started off the whole rude conversation and asked her if she was raised by wolves and at 40 she should know better and should be ashamed of herself and asked her if it made her feel good to hurt another person.

I rarely keep keep my mouth shut in situations like that especially when people are acting just so rudely. I just don't have the patience for that at all especially when someone is hurt like that. Yep, people like that deserve to be shamed publicly and I don't mind being the one to do it. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Wow, that is terrible. First I would have spoken loudly and let the cashier know she was completely out of line and then I would have asked right then and there for her manager to be sent over so I could inform him what a completely rude half wit they had working for them. Then I probably would have looked at the lady who started off the whole rude conversation and asked her if she was raised by wolves and at 40 she should know better and should be ashamed of herself and asked her if it made her feel good to hurt another person.

I rarely keep keep my mouth shut in situations like that especially when people are acting just so rudely. I just don't have the patience for that at all especially when someone is hurt like that. Yep, people like that deserve to be shamed publicly and I don't mind being the one to do it. 

The problem I see with handling the situation like that is that the elderly woman probably would have been even more embarrassed.  I would have spoken to the manager about the employee.  And if looks could kill, the rude customer would be on the floor.

Respected Contributor

At least she was dressed nicely and cared about her appearance. She could have been wearing pj's Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

I think we need to be responsible for our own problems.We can't expect the world to change for us..we need to adapt and find a way to make circumstances work for our concerns.I have alergies too but do not expect strangers to change their lives for me.I would rather smell perfume than some of those toxic body odors..all are nasty but some can gag you.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, people are rude and disrespectful frequently nowadays, no matter where you go.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I have to disagree that we need to be responsible for our own problems.

What we need is to be considerate of those who need help.  Considerate and compassionate.  For example, people in wheelchairs need lowered curb areas to cross streets.

And many need handicap parking spaces, especially wider spaces for special vans for the disabled.

The hospitals in my area have allergy waiting rooms with large signs that say "No perfume or other scents allowed," and if someone comes in smelling like aftershave or the like, they will tell you to leave and come back after you wash it off.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

The problem I see with handling the situation like that is that the elderly woman probably would have been even more embarrassed.  I would have spoken to the manager about the employee.  And if looks could kill, the rude customer would be on the floor.

Yes, I would have done that after she left. I don't know why but I assumed the lady was in front of her in line. If she was not, then yes I would have waited to do that without her there as to not embarrass her even more. Stuff like that makes me furious. Here this lady is out and wearing a perfume she got and the two of these half wits make her feel like that. UGH!! Makes me so mad. Did they not think she couldn't hear them or did they not just care. I don't understand how people can be so mean to others. It just burns my biscuit!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

welcome to the 21st century.  society is "reaping what it sowed"  remember---"can't hurt their self esteem"?  hello, the chickens have now come home!

hnj

I agree.  What would have frosted their flakes was for the LOL to go to the manager and complain.  About both.  Cant do much about the ignoramous customer, but, the checker that chimed in?????Maybe she should be out looking for more appropriate work...A snake charmer perhaps.

So is every generation except Baby Boomers and older under the "can't hurt their self esteem" umbrella?

Whoever started that ridiculous phrase needs to be tied down and forced to watch endless loops of The Real Housewives.  

It doesn't apply to every.single. solitary report of rudeness, ignorance or violence. It's a stupid catch phrase that seems to make people feel superior to anyone who is younger than they are.  

It's hackneyed and in most cases just dead wrong.

~Enough is enough~