Honored Contributor

Re: Ross Harris has been sentenced

@pattypeep wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@KingstonsMom

Your explanation of how sentencing works is spot on.  However, RH life sentence included no parole.  Why the additional 32 yrs?  I am assuming he still has rights to his 3 appeals which can drag on for decades. icon_exclaim.gif

@Mz iMac According to Joey on HLN, the 32 years given by the judge was to "make a statement" ~ hopefully deterring anyone else from doing the same horrific thing.

@pattypeep

Personally, I think "life plus 32 years" is a meaningless statement.  After he's dead, the 32 years is  pointless.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@KingstonsMom

Your explanation of how sentencing works is spot on.  However, RH life sentence included no parole.  Why the additional 32 yrs?  I am assuming he still has rights to his 3 appeals which can drag on for decades. icon_exclaim.gif

@Mz iMac According to Joey on HLN, the 32 years given by the judge was to "make a statement" ~ hopefully deterring anyone else from doing the same horrific thing.

@pattypeep

Personally, I think "life plus 32 years" is a meaningless statement.  After he's dead, the 32 years is  pointless.

@Tinkrbl44 To coin MBR's favorite phrase "here's the thing". Of course you're right. Dead is dead. The defendant was given life for felony murder. In addition they wanted him to receive a sentence for his additional crimes which he was found guilty of: ie: 20 years for cruelty to a child, x time for sexual exploitation of a minor, etc. totaling 32 additional years. If you are interested in the last details you can google it and see it spelled out. The most important thing is he will never see the light of day, IMO. I cannot imagine this being overturned on appeal. BTW, he's lucky he didn't run into me in a darkened hallway 'cuz they wouldn't have needed a trial for him ~ only for me.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

What happened to his wife? 

Trusted Contributor

Didn't his wife divorce him immediately after this happened? That little boy was so precious and he died an agonizing death. There is no sentence harsh enough on the earth to give this monster. I appreciated what the judge told him about his plans to "educate others on the issue". She more or less told him he would be doing that from a jail cell for the remainder of his life.

dee

Regular Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I would have preferred the death penalty but he'll get it in the end. 

@SahmIam...IMO, the sentence he received was PERFECT.. Now he is forced to live behind bars like a caged animal with those "like himself"..and even WORSE. He will wake up each day living  with the guilt and shame he must be carrying inside. The deatlh penalty is  "too good" for him.  Let him face his demons...here, and on the other side. In the end, G--D forgives all...regardless of what horrific things they've done in their lives on this planet. So...let him hang around for the ride...I think it could be quite bumpy....

Esteemed Contributor

My kind of justice and sentencing.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BohemianGal Yes, he will pay in prison...in many ways and that does make me happy. However, our money is going to support that POS for the rest of his life and that DOESN'T make me happy. 

He isn't fit to live so get rid of him now and save the taxpayers' money. That's where I'm coming from. However, long term suffering to where he begs for death is acceptable. Mabye those among him will take care of business quickly and money will still be saved. One can hope.

Esteemed Contributor

How sad and pathetic is it, that we must look to people already in prison to deal out the justice this "man" and others like him so richly deserve.

So he gets life in prison - big deal.

He gets fed, free medical, recreation for an hour a day....visitors.....and people think this is a slow death? You gotta be kidding! Drug use is rife in prisons. He will probably get high every day.

We will be supporting this thing until he dies.

He should not be allowed to live. He should die the same way his victim did - THAT would be justice served.

Regular Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@BohemianGal Yes, he will pay in prison...in many ways and that does make me happy. However, our money is going to support that POS for the rest of his life and that DOESN'T make me happy. 

He isn't fit to live so get rid of him now and save the taxpayers' money. That's where I'm coming from. However, long term suffering to where he begs for death is acceptable. Mabye those among him will take care of business quickly and money will still be saved. One can hope.

@SahmIam...I get your point here. That scenario would be the best of both worlds..let the other animals take care of him. Also given the nature of the crime he committed, other prisoners won't be too accepting of him.

In general I don't believe in the death penalty, but my husband does. He also feels that   tax payers should not be subject to supporing t these types of criminals. For myself, It's not about money, but a moral (spiritual) issue, and I believe that life in prison without the possibiilty of parole is worse then the death penalty and more "fitting".  Like you, I feel he is "garbage"...but on the other hand,  who am I to judge? He will have to "answer" to this his actions at the end, and he will be made to "expereince" the pain he has caused to others. I wouldn't want to be him for all the MONEY in the world.

Trusted Contributor

To fill in a few details, his wife did divorce him and has reverted to her maiden name.  She lives in Alabama now and has a new boyfriend.

The prosecutors did not try for the death penalty because they did not feel that the jury would go for it.  They felt life in prison was a safer bet for a conviction.

I'm in Atlanta, and this information is from the local newspaper.