Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I will drive miles to avoid the Broadway tunnel in SF..................(although I rode the subway when I lived in Chicago years ago)

@Desertdi

Wow - that's a short tunnel!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@azgal wrote:

They built a whole new section of the bay bridge that is suppose to withstand any earthquake. It opened in late 2013.

Your trip sounds wonderful. You will see some beautiful country!

ETA: I hope you get a chance to go to the Monterey Bay aquarium. It is really great.

@sunshine&rainbows

@azgal

After you've completed your visit to the aquarium, turn right when you exit and walk up a one block hill, crossing the railroad tracks to a major street.  Proceed straight across the street, turn right and go down the block maybe halfway to "Vivalo's" family diner.  It's white with blue trim and small.  They make the best sour dough bread bowls with garlic, parm and butter lids placed briefly under the broiler.  The bowl is filled with warming clam chowder.

Respected Contributor

that is going to be a wonderful trip!

Super Contributor

@azgal wrote:

They built a whole new section of the bay bridge that is suppose to withstand any earthquake. It opened in late 2013.

Your trip sounds wonderful. You will see some beautiful country!

ETA: I hope you get a chance to go to the Monterey Bay aquarium. It is really great.

@azgal

I agree, beautiful country.

Our first date was at the Monterey Bay aquarium!! Heart

Respected Contributor

We've been to most of the places you mentioned you will have a great time.

We are planning a Road trip to the Grand Canyon this summer. I Love road trips Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@sfnative

I am not sure if we went to "Cindy's Waterfront" or "Vivalo's" restaurant over looking the water!  My husband reminded me I did get the clam chowder bowl. Smiley Happy

Yes on traveling on hwy 1, thank you for the great suggestions...

I did not know they changed the name of Sears raceway, I realized after I wrote my post should of said on the way to Fairfield, you pass by it.

Super Contributor

@MaRina

Are you going out on the glass bridge? Or going to ride the donkey's down into the canyon? Sound so exciting, have a great trip! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My sister and I plus a retired bachelor cousin and a friend of his took a two week road trip to Banff and Jasper National  Parks in Canada in 2013, leaving from Santa Fe.   To make a long story short,  we saw beautiful scenery and we were almost always in view of mountains.   It was the trip of a lifetime.   The two men behaved like total jerks and once we got home and tied up loose ends,  we've never spoken to them again and don't intend to do so in the future. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My sister and I plus a retired bachelor cousin and a friend of his took a two week road trip to Banff and Jasper National  Parks in Canada in 2013, leaving from Santa Fe.   To make a long story short,  we saw beautiful scenery and we were almost always in view of mountains.   It was the trip of a lifetime.   The two men behaved like total jerks and once we got home and tied up loose ends,  we've never spoken to them again and don't intend to do so in the future. 

You sure get to know someone when you live, work or travel with them, don't ya? 

Several years ago one of my sisters and I left our husbands at home and we took a road trip.  Had a wonderful time, and I also got to know my sister better.  I also love road trips.  Want to go on another one!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine&rainbows  If you do happen to go to the former Sears Point Raceway (now called Sonoma Raceway), just off Hwy 37, be sure to take a side trip to the beautiful Viansa Winery just up the road on Hwy 121.  It's like a bit of Tuscany.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.