Honored Contributor

Riveting Account of Mercy Ship in Africa

I just caught a tiny bit of Dana Perino's mention on "The Five" of her trip on one of the Mercy Ships.  She has been associated with them for several years, and this trip was to Benin, in west Africa.

Having only been vaguely aware of the work of these fabulous, health-giving and surgery-providing ships to the poor of the world, I was stunned by Dana's stories.  Do you know some people live on the ships (one guy for 28 years, and a number of families with children?).  Others come when they can-- everyone from surgeons to nurses, to mechanics, to engineers, educators, and on and on.

You can't read about them without falling in love with these people and the patients they serve.  Dana Perino has a nice way of telling these stories-- she's not full of herself, and is not presenting herself as Lady Bountiful or anything like that:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/03/16/dana-perino-how-reset-my-heart-after-brutal-election-my-vi...

Valued Contributor

Re: Riveting Account of Mercy Ship in Africa

[ Edited ]

I served in Mercy Ships for a few years. From women having fistula repairs, facial reconstruction/tumor removal, Dental, to vision care.  They really do change peoples lives and I saw some of the hardest things in my life while serving with them.  Yet, those same patients leave the ship with new faces, smiling and hopeful. They usually can't stop smiling once they can smile after surgery.  We had several famous to semi-famous people visit, she is one of the few ones I recall making it public with the interviews. A really good idea and it probably helps a lot with the donations. The people serving are and still the best people I've ever met in my life. Especially the renowned Dr. Gary.  Many good men and women from all over the world pass through those doors volunteering. Glad Dana has shared her experience. If you haven't watched the 60 minutes episode on Mercy Ships, encourage you to watch it.

Honored Contributor

segri21, thank you.   It is fascinating to hear first-hand from someone who has lived that life, served the way you have, and can share those priceless anecdotes of patient's lives improved and transformed.  I'll search out the program you mentioned.

People like you are a boon to humanity, quietly makiing the world better because you existed!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for posting! My coworker's daughter wants to one day work on mercy ships and I just sent her the link.
Valued Contributor

Feb 04, 2005, 00:00 ET from Project HOPE

Project HOPE Sends 93 Medical Volunteers on a Humanitarian Aid Effort on the USNS Mercy

Volunteers Arrive in Tsunami Stricken Region
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son was one of the Volunteers on that ship. I have pictures, but can't post them here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I just caught a tiny bit of Dana Perino's mention on "The Five" of her trip on one of the Mercy Ships.  She has been associated with them for several years, and this trip was to Benin, in west Africa.

Having only been vaguely aware of the work of these fabulous, health-giving and surgery-providing ships to the poor of the world, I was stunned by Dana's stories.  Do you know some people live on the ships (one guy for 28 years, and a number of families with children?).  Others come when they can-- everyone from surgeons to nurses, to mechanics, to engineers, educators, and on and on.

You can't read about them without falling in love with these people and the patients they serve.  Dana Perino has a nice way of telling these stories-- she's not full of herself, and is not presenting herself as Lady Bountiful or anything like that:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/03/16/dana-perino-how-reset-my-heart-after-brutal-election-my-vi...

This is why it is extremely important to share what we know.  This, is an excellent topic of discussion.  Everyday people doing "tremendous work" won't get applause they deserve if no one knows about them.

I find this fascinating!  Doctors without Borders is another organization that does similar work ~ though I'm not sure about the ships.

Thanks for sharing.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@segrl21 wrote:

I served in Mercy Ships for a few years. From women having fistula repairs, facial reconstruction/tumor removal, Dental, to vision care.  They really do change peoples lives and I saw some of the hardest things in my life while serving with them.  Yet, those same patients leave the ship with new faces, smiling and hopeful. They usually can't stop smiling once they can smile after surgery.  We had several famous to semi-famous people visit, she is one of the few ones I recall making it public with the interviews. A really good idea and it probably helps a lot with the donations. The people serving are and still the best people I've ever met in my life. Especially the renowned Dr. Gary.  Many good men and women from all over the world pass through those doors volunteering. Glad Dana has shared her experience. If you haven't watched the 60 minutes episode on Mercy Ships, encourage you to watch it.

@segrl21, you go girl!  Thank you.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

In more than 60 countries around the world, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) saves lives by providing medical aid where it is needed most—in armed conflicts, epidemics, natural disasters, and other crisis situations. Many contexts call for a rapid response employing specialized medical and logistical help, but we also run longer-term projects designed to tackle health crises and support people who cannot otherwise access health care.

Why are we there? Armed conflict Epidemic Access to Health Care Natural disaster

Why are we there? Natural disaster.

Why are we there? Armed Conflict

Why are we there? Armed conflict Endemic/epidemic disease Health care exclusion

Bolivia

Bulgaria

Yemen

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/countries

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson