Honored Contributor

Re: Ring on the Left Ring Finger

[ Edited ]

@bri20 wrote:

When we started dating, I asked my not yet husband if he had any children or ex'es I needed to be aware of.  LOL

I asked in a non-threatening way.  It's something I wanted to know before things got too serious. 

He (the general "he", not your husband "he") could answer no to both questions and still be married.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, for petes sake! Just ask him!

99% of men are perfectly fine with being asked.

Sheesh!

All of this unnecessary drama,  and you can't even ask him a simple and basic question?

Respected Contributor

Frankly, you're not offering much more than a hint of information.  You say you "met" someone who is of interest to you.  How many times have you met him?  Is he a co-worker, a new neighbor, ride on the same train as you, repair your car?  Has he shown interest in you other than as a casual aquaintance?  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I wouldn't just walk up to some guy that I found myself attracted to from afar and ask him if he's married.

That would be weird and uncomfortable.

Trusted Contributor

I am absolutely horrible in telling if someone has any interest in me. He works in the same area as me and I've interacted with him a few times. I want to test out my flirting techniques and I really don't want to waste me time if he's married. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

When we started dating, I asked my not yet husband if he had any children or ex'es I needed to be aware of.  LOL

I asked in a non-threatening way.  It's something I wanted to know before things got too serious. 

He (the general "he", not your husband "he") could answer no to both questions and still be married.

Sure, anybody could lie.

It's kind of hard to hide kids though.  Maybe for a while, but not forever.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't just walk up to some guy that I found myself attracted to from afar and ask him if he's married.

That would be weird and uncomfortable.

Exactly, I can understand why she may not want to ask yet, but want to know. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I remember girls asking me (when I was interested in someone), "Is he single?" And I'd say, "I don't know", and they'd say, "Well, didn't you LOOK?".  "Look at what?" I'd say.

"To see if he's wearing a ring!", they'd say

No, No I didn't.  They just take the ring off if they're up to no good anyway.

There was a man at my gym like that.  And my friend and I saw him without the ring ogling me and then we saw him there with his wife or g/f and my friend saw that he was wearing a ring.

I never noticed but I wasn't interested in him anyway.  He was kind of creepy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wear a ring on my left ring finger every day that's not a wedding band and I'm not married.  He could just have too many rings and not enough fingers.  I'd say probably not married but could be.

I do too, I've always worn some sort of ring on my left ring finger. I did before I got married, I do now that I'm widowed (it's not my wedding ring) If someone is interested, they come right out & ask me if I'm married or they ask where's my husband.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I know many who don't wear wedding bands (men and women) for whatever reason: I'm one of them.

"Hey, that's an interesting ring. Is it a family piece?"  is one of the best ways to find out about a ring someone is wearing. Usually, they'll tell you the whole story without blinking an eye. The person who stammers or hesitates, however, is the person I would think carefully about regarding going foward. (this is if the ring is on the traditional ring finger, btw).

Yes, I have used that line in the past. It has also been asked of me (family ring that only fits that finger). Good luck!

Me, too.  We had rings made for us, very popular at the time.  Large bands with a lot of gold layered on, they are beautiful.

After awhile I started getting lupus rashes on my fingers and I couldn't stand to wear the ring.  With lupus, my fingers would swell often and I couldn't wear it anyway, so we put our rings in the vault.

Later I really got into rings and I have a great collection, mostly by way of QVC, from size six, my normal size, on up to cover every level of swelling.