Esteemed Contributor

Re: Richard Simmons' Weight Loss Studio in L.A. To Close in November

Thiis sad news but I knew it was coming. My husband and I went every Tues and Thurs night. He also taught Saturday 's when he was in town. He is a complicated guy. First off the he studio is tiny but in a high real estate area. Right by the Beverly Hills police department. He would have his driver drop him off right before class starts. His assistants would set everything up. He kisses every single person in class before it starts. My husband never was comfortable with that as the big military man but he learned to just go with it a little. He also dresses in a costume/slash work out outfit. As time went on they got way more feminine. He always loved that we came as a couple because most people did not. His work out is hard no doubt about it. However you do as much as you can. Then it is floor work. Then we would sit on the mat and he would give us a pep talk. Sometimes it was very uncomfortable because he would almost break down and then recover. Overall it was just fun. We stopped going about a year and a half ago because he was never teaching. He was the draw as nice as the replacements were. Some people went for decades. The rumors were he had knee replacements and then he got very depressed and never left the house and became house bound. Others said his assistant/companion was isolating him. I do know he motivated so many people and he made it fun.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

For me, I think he invests so much in people he is trying to help that maybe he just ran himself into the ground.  He clearly is a sensitive soul and I'm sure easily wounded or upset if he felt he could not help someone and since he was always willing to tackle more extreme cases perhaps if they did not ultimately succeed that was tough on him.

I always enjoy Richard no matter what he was doing and wish him nothing but the best as he is always a kind and gentle soul.

Respected Contributor

I new a woman years ago who was a stewardess in the first class section of American Airlines.  She said that of all the famous people she came across, Richard Simmons was by far the nicest.  She said he was so friendly,  courteous and just wonderful.  She never forgot her experience with him.

Honored Contributor

From everything I've heard about Richard over the years...he made a big difference in the lives of so many people.  I wish him well.  Can't think of anything else to say.....I think many of you have already said it well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Although his people say he's fine, I haven't seen him making TV appearances in years. It's like he's disappeared. It's hard to believe he would ever close his studio, b/c his life was helping those losing weight. Also, he took on the obese, 4,5,and 600 lbs. helping them along through their journey.

There has been all kind of gossip about him. Tragic gossip. I hope if he's not well, he is seen again soon. I can't imagine him retiring unless he's just not well. I think he did a lot of good for many people.

@febe1  Did you read the article I posted in the first post?  He's had knee problems now for several years.   I am about his age and also have a bad knee problem now and there is no way I could teach an exercise class.   His knee problem to me is a perfectly legitimate reason for not doing his exericing routine any more. 

As for the gender change, Simmons has denied that several times.  That was speculation.  So I'm not going to believe that unless it actually happens.  That was "the rumor" when Jenner started transitioning.  And that's when Simmons denied it.  I'm willing to believe the knee story at this point more than that, unless I hear it from Simmons' mouth or see it in genuine photos of him.

No, I should have read it, @Pearlee. After reading, I still have concerns. I hope it is just his knee, though. He's such an inspirational and motivational figure, he'll be missed greatly. I hope he returns....

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand him needing a break, especially if he’s having issues with his knees.  He’s given a lot over the years.  Aging isn’t always kind and perhaps he doesn’t want to share that with the world.  I hope he finds peace in whatever he’s doing.  He deserves it.  I wish him well. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hoped Richard would be the same as Jack Lulane, who stayed public into his 90's, @cotton4me. What a remarkable man, and the physical toning of his body in his 90's was something to behold. He was straight as an arrow, and although not as large as in his youth, he still had a six pack and good shoulders.

I think Richard Simmons fought more with his weight over his life. Richard was sensitive about his appearance. Losing his hair was taken hard. Trying to keep a six pack, difficult.

He worked very hard over all of those years, and if he wants to just kick back, eat everything in sight, and never exercise again, he deserves doing it. I just hope nobody is taking advantage of him, and I wish those who love him and are close to him watch over him, even with his "handlers" denying them.

It would make people less concerned, if Richard would appear publicly for all his fans and reassure them of their concerns.