Regular Contributor

Its great if the company or profession you put your blood,sweat,or tears doesn't screw you over. I am looking at the teamster/truckers union. They are looking at a 50% cut in benefits for CURRENT retirees because of mismanagement. Reminds me of social security in the future.

Trusted Contributor

I am retiring in August of this year after working for 44 years.  I haven't been at the same company for that long, but I've been where I am now for almost 20 years.  August 19th is my last day here, and I can assure you.....once I walk out this door on the 19th, with the exception of maybe 3 people here, I will never give this place another thought!  This was not a career for me; it's just a job!  I am sooooo tired and sooooo over all the workplace political stuff, the back-stabbing, the favoritism, etc., and am so ready to start this last phase of my life!!!  I am single (have been divorced for many many years), and I will be moving to a small town where my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren live (right now I live in a big city and where they live is about an hour from here).  In fact, I will sort of move in with them.  They are having a room built onto their home and also a bathroom just for me.  And even my son-in-law is excited about me coming!  I cannot wait to be a part of my grandchildren's everyday life because right now, I only see them every few months because I go out of town a lot on weekends to take care of my mother.  My oldest granddaughter (she will be 14 in a couple of days) texts me everyday to let me know how excited she is that I'm coming and she is sad that it won't be until the end of summer when I come.  I have only the one child (my daughter) and she has given me four beautiful grandchildren, ranging in age from 6 to almost 14.  So for me....I will NOT be caught between happiness and sadness.  I am ecstatic about retiring!!  

Respected Contributor

Maybe you're not ready to retire.  Maybe you want to work longer.  You say you love your job, so maybe you should stay.  Or, maybe work part-time at this or another job.  Retirement is not mandatory.  Best wishes to you.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Ok, I think I see why you aren't looking foward to retirement.  Sleeping later and caring for  elderly parents is not a plan for a happy and fulfilling retirement. What you described is just marking time.  If work was a huge part of your life, if you loved it, if your social life revolved around work friends, if your self esteem is tied to your work....why are you retiring???  What's the hurry?  Just because you can retire doesn't mean you must retire.  Assuming you can still do the job, keep working.  One of my staff just retired and she is 76.  I have two others who are 70ish and have no plans to retire this year, anyway.  None of them needs the money.  The 76 year old did reduce her hours to 32 about 10 years ago, the other two are still full time.  A person should be happy about retiring, not dreading it.  Why not delay it for a year or two and take the time to plan a happy and fulfilling retirement?  So that there really is happiness in your future.  

Sometimes one must retire because of changes in ones workplace.  Somr

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

You can still meet up with your friends from work.  Plan a few lunches or dinners before you leave for the upcoming month.  I can't wait for that day to come.  Unfortunately, it's further out than I'd like. Congratulations, it will be great.

For many it doesn't work that way.  After you leave they have little interest in you and your life leaves very little for you to talk about.  

It NEVER works out becsuse work is the bond.  Work friends get together and talk about the job, the boss, projects etc.  Once a person leaves or retires, there is no bond.  At first, not much changes but in time, the one who left has nothing in common with her former work buddies.  They talk and laugh about what happened last week and the retiree just sits there.  After that first year, those former work relationships wither away. 

Well, that's not true, as several people have already shown.

We aren't all different and our circumstances and the people around us are different.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The thing about retiring is that the future is nothing but death. One can find rewarding busywork or entertain themselves with travel, crafts, grandchildren...to distract themselves from the closing in inevitable.  What's to look forward to but decline? Where is the joy in that?

I don't know who I feel sorrier for, you or your family. My deepest sympathies on such a bleak and miserable outlook on life. 

Sometimes life isn't a bowl of cherries for us.  Some people actually have illness, financial issues, lack of family and a zillion other things to deal with.  Sometimes for those work helped them get through it and provided a familiar and secure place that helped you cope.  Those living in a cozy wonderful world shouldn't think it is the same for all or that somehow they are to blame.

Honored Contributor

I will have to work the rest of my life. I don't have a choice to either retire (with a pension/health ins) or not, get a part time job (boredom) etc.. SS will probably run out by the time I get it.

I understand it is a big change op. Embrace it. You have all the opportunities to enjoy retirement.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

..oh and let me add that the friends I made at work who really meant something to me are still my friends and I see them often.  Several of them are still working, so that myth about losing your working friends when you retire is just that. A myth.

I would say it completely depends on everyone involved and each situation would be different.

Of course every situation is different.  That's life in general.

One poster says it NEVER works out.  Others say it is more common that it never works out.  I disagree with these statements.

True friendship endures life changes.  We all have people who float in and out of our lives.  You have to understand the difference between these types of people and true friendship.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

OH, TO BE ABLE TO RETIRE!!!!  I have so many things I would love to be able to do if I had the time.  I wouldn't miss my office work one iota.  I can understand that many people do, though.

I just can't afford to retire.  I have a refrigerator magnet with the picture of a smiling, circa 1950's woman at a typewriter and desk full of paper that says,

"By my calculations I can retire 5 years after I die".

It makes me laugh, but not always.....

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm a realist. I see the retired, most are no longer current or vital. I have no desire to join them. Volunteers are not decision makers, not taken seriously, I have no desire to join them. 

I reduced my hours some back when there were massive layoffs so as to allow another to remain employed which gives me more free time. Other than that, I have no plans or desire to retire. 

Heck, if I saw nothing but death and misery in retirement I wouldn't want to retire either.

I see freedom to have more time to devote to things I love.