Respected Contributor

Re: Restaurant recommendations in NYC.

So I work in the financial district and don't get up to time square as much but I did recently go to see Fiddler on the Roof and actually we got sandwiches at the Hello deli ( 213 W 53rd St) across the street which is around the corner from the Ed Sullivan theater -Stephen Colbert Late Show. We have stopped in there on multiple occasions over the years. This place always is great. Friendly,Fast and Fresh. 

Otherwise I also recommend Whirling Dervish over on 146 W 47th St. It is awesome Turkish food if you want something different then the typical tourist places or Italian.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

There are so many choices

le Bernardin, French and very respected, around a long time 

Becco

Aureole 

Lillies 

Da Marino (but they were closed for alterations last time I passed) 

Oceana 

Del Frisco's (good but too crowded, noisy and getting out before theater can be tricky)

21 Club always good and nice for people watching...

Sardi's is still pretty good and interesting

Barbetta- old fashioned, good Italian; the Pope ate there

Southern Hospitality- Justin Timberlake helped create it but not an owner, Memphis BBQ but over on 9th, Hell's Kitchen so a bit of a walk back

Virgils, not fancy but good BBQ and around for years

The Lambs Club

OLunneys

Gallaghers  

not in the Theater District but Eataly is such fun

Honored Contributor

Gallagher's Steakhouse, Seafood of the Agean.  Some middle eastern place that served a raw egg york on ground raw meat.  Kibbe I think it is called.   Yes, I used to eat that stuff.  Yikes, at least I'm still alive.  That's all I remember about my long ago visits to New York. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Stray wrote:

There are so many choices

le Bernardin, French and very respected, around a long time 

Becco

Aureole 

Lillies 

Da Marino (but they were closed for alterations last time I passed) 

Oceana 

Del Frisco's (good but too crowded, noisy and getting out before theater can be tricky)

21 Club always good and nice for people watching...

Sardi's is still pretty good and interesting

Barbetta- old fashioned, good Italian; the Pope ate there

Southern Hospitality- Justin Timberlake helped create it but not an owner, Memphis BBQ but over on 9th, Hell's Kitchen so a bit of a walk back

Virgils, not fancy but good BBQ and around for years

The Lambs Club

OLunneys

Gallaghers  

not in the Theater District but Eataly is such fun

@jackthebear- love Eataly, I worked across the park and went there frequently before retiring.  I love how people gather there; very atypical for NYC.  I've gone to Lydia's other two as well....Felidia and Becco....both excellent.  I've met her many times in one restaurant or the other and she is always friendly and gracious....

Honored Contributor

Havana Central, 151 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036-8502,·(212) 398-7440 and they take reservations I have been to two of their locations, good food and yummy drinks. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Baylie wrote:

A friend and I will be in NYC next week and neither of us is that familiar with the city. Does anyone have any recommendations for lunch places in the Times Square area? We are going to see 2 matinees and would like to have lunch nearby. Thanks!

I like Virgil's Real BBQ. It's right by Times Square - 152 W 44th St.

It's fun, they have yummy drinks and apps, and it's not a chain.

PLEASE stay away from all the chains right on Times Square - they are HORRIBLE! One time my son insisted we go to TGIF for a burger...the place was filthy dirty, the service was terrible and it wasn't anything like TGIF at home.

Go to Virgil's for a casual, tasty lunch.

Tom Collichio (from the Food Network shows) has a chain of sandwich shops called "Wich Craft. Very tasty for a fast lunch.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wichcraft-new-york-16?hrid=Bd46TtIPHweCon--EFh_UA

Respected Contributor

@catlover wrote:

Ok, no need to be cruel!😳

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I am making a list and will check to see what my friend would like. My husband and I will have two extra days there after his meeting is over so we will have time to visit a number of these places. Thank you! Can't wait to go!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I was wondering -- let's say you get lunch and a dessert that you can't finish at the restaurant.  Are you allowed to bring the dessert into the theater and eat it while watching the performance?  

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Hayfield wrote:

You've gotten some great recommendations, all I've been to, Juniors, Blue Fin, Glass House Tavern, Tre Colori & Becco. They're all in the theatre district, make reservations and just let them know when you get there that you're going to the theatre.  There's also another one that I love that I don't think was mentioned: Maria Pia's at 319 51st Street between 8th & 9th Avenue.  It's small and so New York, it's one of my favorites and they do have pre-fix lunch and dinner menu too.  My DS lives in NYC and I go up 3-4 times a year, so I've been to many restaurants.  I hope you have a great time.  I'm going up myself this weekend, we're doing a river dinner cruise and seeing the Mets play the Nationals!! Can't wait!  NYC!  

I'm going to the Mets game Saturday night - there's a fireworks show after the game. There's nothing better than a NYC  fireworks show !!

Have a great time!  I'm looking forward to the weekend, they're calling for good weather.  We lucked out in June when we went up to see the Tennement Museum & the 911 Memorial, great weather then too!