Valued Contributor

Re: Remembering Princess Diana On What Would Have Been Her 55th Birthday!

@muttmom wrote:

My husband worked in Barbados for many years.  We became friendly with a lot of Brits.  Almost all of them despised Diana.

America fell in love with the pretty young woman with the eloquent speaking voice. She appeared to be a loving mother with many personal problems. 

Who cheated first? Probably Charles.  Diana was no angel.  I think she was a great actress.

Often times we elevate people in death to heights they could have never reached in life.

I love how people here seem to know how Diana would have felt about what has transpired since her death.

That's interesting @muttmom. Why did they "despise" her?

Trusted Contributor

I think Diana did have problems but I think being put in the position of Princess and under the Queen's watchful eye and the press and paparazzi following her every move for years and years certainly helped to beat her down, so to speak....and then knowing that Charles secretly yearned for Camilla, that would be enough to break anyone!

I don't think many 19 year-olds would be able to handle such high expectations put upon them, but then again, a 19 year-old is lovestruck easily and doesn't think along the same lines a more mature women would.  When I think back to decisions I made at that age, I cringe!

It was an unfortunate union that should have never taken place.  But it did result in something wonderful...and that's the existence of two wonderful boys who hopefully will carry on their mother's kind and compassionate teachings.

Everyone has faults...hers were put under a microscope for the world to see.

I admired her for who she was and for the kind and compassionate side she showed us.  Those qualities, to me, stand out above everything else.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

My husband worked in Barbados for many years.  We became friendly with a lot of Brits.  Almost all of them despised Diana.

America fell in love with the pretty young woman with the eloquent speaking voice. She appeared to be a loving mother with many personal problems. 

Who cheated first? Probably Charles.  Diana was no angel.  I think she was a great actress.

Often times we elevate people in death to heights they could have never reached in life.

I love how people here seem to know how Diana would have felt about what has transpired since her death.

@muttmom

So some Brit vacationers despised Diana .... care to tell us why?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@muttmom

I never said they were Brit vacationers.  Many Brits work in Barbados.  They were professionals.  There are a few we still visit in England.

Whether they were right or wrong, it's not for me to say.  They referred to Diana as a dim, airhead.  She was chosen by the Queen in a similar manner as she chose her mares.  The Spencer lineage was proper. When one daughter didn't work out for Charles, a younger, prettier one was chosen.

The Brits we know support the Royals.  Maybe it was jealousy but they didn't like how the media sided with Diana.  They didn't like that she made Charles look foolish.

Somehow the fact Charles cheated with just his true love was okay.  They felt Diana was a serial cheater.

These are not my opinions rather some that I heard over and over. 

I liked Diana.

I thought it was amusing that they liked Fergie.  They thought she was fun.  She took responsibility for her antics.  She never blamed her husband, her MIL or FIL.

Go figure.

Respected Contributor

@spindlegirl

I answered your inquiry in another post.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@muttmom

I never said they were Brit vacationers.  Many Brits work in Barbados.  They were professionals.  There are a few we still visit in England.

Whether they were right or wrong, it's not for me to say.  They referred to Diana as a dim, airhead.  She was chosen by the Queen in a similar manner as she chose her mares.  The Spencer lineage was proper. When one daughter didn't work out for Charles, a younger, prettier one was chosen.

The Brits we know support the Royals.  Maybe it was jealousy but they didn't like how the media sided with Diana.  They didn't like that she made Charles look foolish.

Somehow the fact Charles cheated with just his true love was okay.  They felt Diana was a serial cheater.

These are not my opinions rather some that I heard over and over. 

I liked Diana.

I thought it was amusing that they liked Fergie.  They thought she was fun.  She took responsibility for her antics.  She never blamed her husband, her MIL or FIL.

Go figure.

@muttmom

Thanks for the insight.   However, I disagree with one point ....  Diana couldn't "make" Charles look foolish ... he did that all by himself ... the whole "wants to be a tampon" thing, as just one example  ....  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@muttmom

Thanks for the insight.   However, I disagree with one point ....  Diana couldn't "make" Charles look foolish ... he did that all by himself ... the whole "wants to be a tampon" thing, as just one example  ....  

I would agree Charles made himself look foolish.  It is difficult to understand how some people believe the Royals, right or wrong.  The blame went to the one that mad that phone call public.

It does make you wonder who in his right mind would ever admit he wanted to be a tampon.

Trusted Contributor

Just another example of the paparazzi and how lethal they are.

Imagine how much she would have loved her grandchildren.

I think she and Kate would have been close.

Honored Contributor

@Hot Street wrote:

Just another example of the paparazzi and how lethal they are.

Imagine how much she would have loved her grandchildren.

I think she and Kate would have been close.

The paparazzi did not encourage their limo driver to drink or speed.......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@muttmom

I would agree Charles made himself look foolish.  It is difficult to understand how some people believe the Royals, right or wrong.  The blame went to the one that mad that phone call public.

It does make you wonder who in his right mind would ever admit he wanted to be a tampon.

Perhaps being a tampon would be a step up for Prince Charles.