Honored Contributor

Re: Remembering Princess Diana On What Would Have Been Her 55th Birthday!

@SydneyH wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Diana had an affair with her bodyguard before Charles went back to Camilla.

She talks about it in the Peter Settelin tapes.

Then she had an affair with James Hewitt, and chased after other men and caused trouble in their marriages - Oliver Hoare and Will Carling -

She was sweet but disturbed and unofficially diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Charles is not the selfish person she made him out to be. I'm glad he is finally married to a woman who truly loves him.

Many biographies most certainly paint her as a calculating woman who played the press, or at least tried to like a fiddle.

@SydneyH     @YorkieonmyPillow

"Unofficially diagnosed"?    "Played the press"? 

Seriously?   Did either of you know her personally?

Good grief, the woman has been dead for almost 20 years and cannot defend herself!    It's one thing to have an opinion ... and quite another to allude that unproved commentary is actually fact.    One thing you can't take away from her is her devotion to her sons ... or do you want to criticize her parenting skills too?

Respected Contributor

Princess Diana was a pioneer in the area of pediatric AIDS.  She was the first celebrity to visit children with AIDS and touch them.  She was advised not to take on this charitable project but went ahead anyway.  This might not seem like a big deal now, but back when a lot less was known and there were fewer treatments it was a big deal.  I've read interviews with the doctors who treated these sick kids (including in New York, IIRC) who said her actions made a big difference in how this was viewed.  She was a person of courage and compassion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Diana is the only royal that I have been interested in. She had a presence like JOK, imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Diana had an affair with her bodyguard before Charles went back to Camilla.

She talks about it in the Peter Settelin tapes.

Then she had an affair with James Hewitt, and chased after other men and caused trouble in their marriages - Oliver Hoare and Will Carling -

She was sweet but disturbed and unofficially diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Charles is not the selfish person she made him out to be. I'm glad he is finally married to a woman who truly loves him.

Many biographies most certainly paint her as a calculating woman who played the press, or at least tried to like a fiddle.

Good grief, the woman has been dead for almost 20 years and cannot defend herself!    It's one thing to have an opinion ... and quite another to allude that unproved commentary is actually fact.    One thing you can't take away from her is her devotion to her sons ... or do you want to criticize her parenting skills too?

Calm down, I liked her.

However, her shenanigans with these two married men are a matter of record.

As far as her parenting skills - actually yes I would look askance as a person crying and carrying on about the boys' father in their presence - now that you mention it.

My God, the woman wasn't a saint! As her brother said at her funeral, "There is a temptation to rush to canonise your memory, there is no need to do so. You stand tall enough as a human being of unique qualities not to need to be seen as a saint. Indeed to sanctify your memory would be to miss out on the very core of your being, your wonderfully mischievous sense of humour with a laugh that bent you double....."

Acknowledging someone's weaknesses (we all have them) doesn't mean that you don't like them or care about them.

I was very sad, and still am, about her tragic demise.

She was far too fragile for her role. Prince Charles got her psychiatric help in the fall of 1981 but of course people would rather blame him for everything then actually learn about what really went on because - unfortunately - she chose to throw him under the bus. She wanted out but she didn't want people to blame her - understandable, but then she gave that Panorama interview and questioned Charles' ability to be king, she really went above and beyond to lacerate her husband, it was sad.

Now he is happily married to Camilla and they are a family and she is dead. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Did you know her personally?  All of my comments come from the vast amount I've read about her, sorry you are sooo offended but this a just a conversation, you don't have to agree or approve of what is being said.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I never fell for Diana's schtick. I think they both entered that marriage with an agenda - he needed heirs and she wanted the title and money. The people were attracted to her because she was pretty. In the end - the entire marrige was just a bad idea. They were equally to blame - but it was a loveless marriage on both sides.

Respected Contributor

Many of Diana's emotional problems were caused by her husband's cold treatment of her and infidelity.  As she said, "there were three of us in the marriage."  To my knowledge, he's never denied he carried on with Camilla but just insists it was later in the marriage.  I don't believe it.  One can find fault with Diana's crying in front of her children, which must have traumatized them, and with her affairs with married men.  However, the root cause was the cruelty of her husband.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Did you know her personally?  All of my comments come from the vast amount I've read about her, sorry you are sooo offended but this a just a conversation, you don't have to agree or approve of what is being said.  Thanks.

IMO - anyone who saw that interview with her on TV could easily see she was not mentally stable. The way she kept her head down and kept looking up and to the side. Her entire demeanor screamed CRAZY LADY HERE to me.

Respected Contributor

My husband worked in Barbados for many years.  We became friendly with a lot of Brits.  Almost all of them despised Diana.

America fell in love with the pretty young woman with the eloquent speaking voice. She appeared to be a loving mother with many personal problems. 

Who cheated first? Probably Charles.  Diana was no angel.  I think she was a great actress.

Often times we elevate people in death to heights they could have never reached in life.

I love how people here seem to know how Diana would have felt about what has transpired since her death.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

IMO - anyone who saw that interview with her on TV could easily see she was not mentally stable. The way she kept her head down and kept looking up and to the side. Her entire demeanor screamed CRAZY LADY HERE to me.

That's pretty interesting you could assess her mental state after watching an interview with her.  I didn't get that impression but I also try not to see the worst in people. Ahem.

We all have our demons and what ever she may have had or not had or did or not did doesn't detract from all the good she did on earth.