Esteemed Contributor

Back in the day of rotary dial or even early push button phones one either needed to remember the number or look it up. 

Today with phones with memories be they cell or landlines remembering is no longer necessary.

If you were separated from your phone and needed to contact someone without delay using someone else's phone would you know the number to dial?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Remembering Phone Numbers

Yes, I would.  There are phone numbers that are commited to memeory.

Honored Contributor

Not mostly.   I know my husband's cell number (well, most of the time), and that's about it.     Oh, I also know his office number - I think.   Yeah, that's it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember the numbers of DH, DS, DIL, the store where I worked after teaching and had to leave because of a toxic coworker, and lastly my home phone number from when I was age 5!!!  That's when they used letters of the alphabet instead of the first three numbers!

I don't know the other numbers in my phone because I don't call them enough.

Honored Contributor

I have a little black book in my purse. All my numbers are in it and I carry it with me wherever I go. I do not have a cell phone.

Respected Contributor

I have all mine written down in case my phone is ever taken.

Respected Contributor

I have all frequently called numbers committed to memory.   And even though my home phone has many numbers preprogrammed often I still dial them.  Just a hard habit for me to break.

Honored Contributor

My family, my closest friends, etc. I know their numbers and always dial them. I carry a tiny book in my purse with other important numbers (more distant relatives and friends, doctors, dentists, etc.).

I never learned how to load contacts into my phone, and I rather like it that way. Having to remember the numbers has got to do something to help keep the brain functioning.

Esteemed Contributor

I only have my brother's phone number memorized, and oddly, the main number to the agency I retired from almost 3 years ago.  And I haven't called it since I retired.

Respected Contributor

Don't remember any, even my own cell#. Writing key #s

down is an excellent idea.