Honored Contributor

Remember when grades were posted?

No doubt this practice has stopped, but I remember that in middle school, teachers would post our test grades outside their door. So many kids wanted to know how they scored on tests and the teachers said it was easier to post the results rather than having kids coming in and asking their grade. Frankly, I never thought about it much, and because I was a pretty good student, I wasn't worried I'd be at the bottom of the list. Looking back, I can see that this was not a good practice. Do any of you remember teachers doing this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Remember when grades were posted?

interesting......no, this was not done in our schools.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of that.

Honored Contributor

It was done when I was in college, but we didn't even have an honor roll when we were in HS or grade school.
Honored Contributor

In college, the grades were posted by my school id number only. My kids grades are online, so no need to post. Teachers will tell the class the class grade average. Also, they will generally speak and say: like 16 out of 30 are failing this high school class. Many schools still post names /teachers on which your kid has for the new school year.

Honored Contributor

In high school and college our final exam grades as well as course grades were posted. Sometimes it was by initials, sometimes by roster number and sometimes by name.

In elementary school our tests were handed out from top to bottom. The teacher would call out the A's, the B's, etc.

Super Contributor

Never had grades posted until undergrad college.

Esteemed Contributor

We had exam grades posted by # outside the classroom door in high school. In college it was done online.

Valued Contributor

It only happened to us in college.

Honored Contributor

I remember my neighbor bragging incessantly that his son was in the top ten of our youngest son's class. I never doubted him. Our son was, but I never mentioned it to him.

After the baccalaureate Mass, they had a reception at the school and the class rankings were posted in the foyer.

I glanced at the list and saw his son was fourteenth from the bottom.