Respected Contributor

••Hack Attack on Car Controls Is a Credible Threat••

[ Edited ]

This technology is scary imho.

Read the whole article with this link:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/recall-shows-that-a-hack-attack-on-car-controls-is-a-credi...

The main criticism of so-called “car hacking” over the past few years has been that cyber attackers could not use wireless commands to hijack and manipulate a driver’s vehicle under normal driving conditions.

Sure, researchers could remotely unlock doors or prompt a car’s computer to jam on the brakes, but only after carefully manipulating the vehicle ahead of time.

The recent crackdown on Fiat Chrysler—including an unprecedented fine and a recall of 1.4 million vehicles—however, indicates that both car makers and the U.S. government can no longer dismiss car hacking as purely hypothetical.

Fiat Chrysler was already in hot water with the U.S. Department of Transportation for failing to execute on 23 vehicle recalls covering more than 11 million defective vehicles in recent years.

The situation boiled over last week when Wired published an article detailing a test drive during which cybersecurity experts took over the controls of a Jeep Cherokee wirelessly after breaching the vehicle’s touch-screen Uconnect infotainment system.

The researchers used that point of entry to access other systems within the car, cutting the vehicle’s transmission and, later, shutting down its braking system. The Jeep ended up in a ditch alongside the highway.

“The big difference between our previous work and this work is that this [experiment] allowed remote attack,” says Charlie Miller, a security engineer at Twitter, who engineered the hack along with Chris Valasek, director of security intelligence at IOActive."

Go to the link to read the rest of the article.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: ••Hack Attack on Car Controls Is a Credible Threat••

Car manufacturers were so happy to put computers in cars .....  but that not only makes for more expensive repairs, but who wants to drive a car that can be easily hacked?

Does this make any sense at all ?     Yikes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Who in the wide world of foolishness would want a 'controlled' car.  It can be hacked by some kook or prancster and.....................you are toast.  A teenage already proved this and hacked a vehicle on a road - no control of steering, no brakes, can control your speak and he sent the vehicle into a ditch.  No funny.  Not funny at all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

Unbelievable. Cars hacked, cell phones,computers,identify thief it goes on and on. So this is modern technology. Now you aren't safe in your own car. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm one who always says that I prefer roll-up windows.  Less to go wrong.  Also, when wet, the electrical wires and connections can malfunction/smoulder.  p.s.  We've been warned (in my area) about the electronic contraptions that burglars have been using to open many car doors and trunks. Mainly on newer models. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

And who remembers when a talk radio host said this was going to happen and he was called an idiot?

I teach - what's your superpower?
Respected Contributor

I don't understand why cars need this technology.

Honored Contributor

Yes, if we really think about it, why not have a return of the good old-fashioned cars?  Everything the same with the exception of a gas-saving feature.  I envision a return of plain, simple cars, one day in the future.  Less to worry about, crime-wise.  Maybe even safety-wise.  Remember when our dads used to repair their own cars?  No new-fangled wires everywhere.  Plenty of space between each part; easy to maneuver repairs.  Wow, what an elusive recollection..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I learned years ago, long before I started auto racing, interna combustion engines need certain things to make them run. That is some type of fuel or fuel mixture and they also need "spark" to ignite that fuel. Without both? Good luck getting them to move.

They also need either a "direct drive" or some sort of gear box(or transmission), always controlled within the vehicle by the driver. The engine hooks up to the "direct drive or gearbox", I won't go into the rest of the drive train, as that part the driver cannot control.

An time control is lost, without fuel and spark, the engine will cease running. That takes care of that part. Unless the vehicle has a "direct drive(I know of no vehicles sold to thepublic that are direct drive)", if the gearb

ox(transmission) is put in "neutral", power to the drive wheels will cease.

So turning off the spark(ignition + key) and putting vehicle in neutral? The engine has no power and if it still does, for some odd reason, there is no power to theb"drive wheels", thus the vehicle is coasting and much easier to stop.

Now most cars now have power brakes, so if there is no electrical power, this assist does not work. The brakes however DO STILL WORK, just need more "umph" with the foot, or even both feet if necessary, and the vehicle will stop.

Same with power steering. While "power assist" may be gone, it can mechanically, still be steered.

So they can " can hack away", but I will still be able to control my vehicle. Why? Because all vehicles still need mechanical parts that allow them to be driven. These parts are not solely dependent on "electronics" to function.

No amount of "hacking" can remove the function of these mechanical part. Make them harderbto use? Yes. Take control of my vehicle. NO WAY IN H**L.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

That's interesting @hckynutjohn!