Respected Contributor

Ran Out of Advil - Ques on Aleve

I usually take 4 Advil at a time for my knee pain, and I just discovered that I don't have any left. (of course I just got home from BJs).

I've taken one Aleve and it does nothing for me.   Has anyone taken 2 at the same time?   The directions say "for the first dose you may take 2 within the first hour".   I have to wait a half hour before taking the second one?

My knee is KILLING me.

TIA

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ran Out of Advil - Ques on Aleve

Hi Lotus,

check their web site or medical web site

..make sure there wouldn't be any interaction with any meds you may be taking like blood pressure, etc.

((((((feel better))))))

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Try also some moist heat in a towel around the knee for about 20 minutes too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
My neurologist tells me to take two at one time and then another 10 hours later. I do this for my migraines. I also have Aleeve (Naproxan) in 500 milligrams per pill that I take one of if I have Back pain. That's by prescription. Hope you feel better!
Esteemed Contributor

No take them both together. Aleve was naprosen when it first came out by prescription and the dosing instructions were to take 2 and then 1 daily.

Now, I can take  2 once in awhile and get some relief, but it does nothing for me, taken on a regular basis.

Have you tried an ice pack on your knee for a few minutes? That's my advise (bone on bone knee) 2 Aleve and an ice pack. Hope you feel better soon.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I think i'm just going to take it like it says....I'll take one then another after a half hour....hope it helps.

Thanks MGM

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

@betteb wrote:

No take them both together. Aleve was naprosen when it first came out by prescription and the dosing instructions were to take 2 and then 1 daily.

Now, I can take  2 once in awhile and get some relief, but it does nothing for me, taken on a regular basis.

Have you tried an ice pack on your knee for a few minutes? That's my advise (bone on bone knee) 2 Aleve and an ice pack. Hope you feel better soon.

betteb.....you've taken two at the same time?

So, 2 Aleve is equal to 1 Naprosen?   Is that the same as Naproxin?

Respected Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

I usually take 4 Advil at a time for my knee pain, and I just discovered that I don't have any left. (of course I just got home from BJs).

I've taken one Aleve and it does nothing for me.   Has anyone taken 2 at the same time?   The directions say "for the first dose you may take 2 within the first hour".   I have to wait a half hour before taking the second one?

My knee is KILLING me.

TIA

@Lotus wrote:

My knee is KILLING me.

TIA

Ok, I'm going to give my opinion with a disclaimer...that I know nothing of your physical health and I'm only giving my opinion based on MY experience.  That said:  I have been taking Aleve (in prescription form...naproxen) for over 20 years for menstrual cramps.  My original prescription was for 1,000 mg, and I could take one every 12 hours.  Several years later I got  a prescription for 500 mg, and I could take three a day (every 8 hours.)  I take it as needed, but generally no more than three a day.  This is only during the time I have my period, and usually for the first 1-2 days.  So, that's about 1500 mg a day.  I think the OTC is 200 mg per tablet, so I would say you CAN take two at the same time.  However, not knowing your other physical conditions, I say that with caution.  Specifically, naproxen can aggravate stomach issues.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Take the two, BUT - be aware that for many people, Aleve/naproxyn is much harder on the stomach. I can take 600-800 mg of Advil 2-3 times a day for several days with no stomach issues, but sometimes even a single dose of two Aleve will kill my stomach (pain). And I know quite a few people who get stomach pain when taking it.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!!