Honored Contributor

My local news just did a segment on the RFID protection items.  The security expert said that the only chips they would protect would be those cards that have the wi-fi symbol shown on the card, and that the number of those is infinetisimal (sp?).  He said there really isn't any worry that anyone walking by can scan your credit cards that have the chip that most of us have.  Seems like I've heard that before.  Wonder why so many products are being made with RFID protection, if he's right?

Super Contributor

I just saw the same report. I am a little annoyed that the Q, eVine and HSN all hawk the RFID protecting products with no mention of the information provided in this news report. Seems like the shopping channels are preying on fears to seek the product, which is NOT ok. Sell the product, but properly educate the consumer in what the product will protect against and what it will not.

Honored Contributor

I have heard that too.

On Saturday, my husband received a credit card bill for a card that he never uses.  On It were five charges for $8.95 each from GoShipments and FutureGear.

He asked me if I recognized the charges.  I did not   We called the credit union and found out the charges are for online gaming.  The CS rep asked if my husband played games on line.  Funny, he wouldn't know how if he had to,  she cancelled his card and he has to wait for a new one.

I immediately had him place his CC's in RFID sleeves.  I Don't know how anyone got his information.   He doesn't shop on line and only uses a cc when he doesn't have a choice. He uses cash only.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

It is a little dishonest for marketers to imply that everyone with a chip card needs RFID protection.  In fact, as you said, the vast majority of chip cards (less than 1%) do not have a RFID transmitter.  

Here's a good article:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3023422/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html

Respected Contributor

I use the RFID protector cards.  I bought them from QVC several years ago.  I'd rather be protected than not.....

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It is a little dishonest for marketers to imply that everyone with a chip card needs RFID protection.  In fact, as you said, the vast majority of chip cards (less than 1%) do not have a RFID transmitter.  

Here's a good article:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3023422/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html

Thanks for the info, I'm a little surprised the Q would go along with this scam, but I guess it is all about the money. The public needs to be better informed.

Valued Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

My local news just did a segment on the RFID protection items.  The security expert said that the only chips they would protect would be those cards that have the wi-fi symbol shown on the card, and that the number of those is infinetisimal (sp?).  He said there really isn't any worry that anyone walking by can scan your credit cards that have the chip that most of us have.  Seems like I've heard that before.  Wonder why so many products are being made with RFID protection, if he's right?

Some cards can be scanned. Soon it will be out phones, if not already. You can group your cards together,without wallet sleeves/or without a wallet, which makes it harder to scan. Also you can use tin foil, instead of the rfid protectors, but its messy. They are selling fear.

Honored Contributor

I keep all my cards in "decorative" aluminum business card holders.   I found them at a bookstore for just a couple of dollars each .   Kate Spade sells similar for $30.  

Respected Contributor

I would rather have the protection than not have it, even though the need is small. The codes change every time you use a card with the new chip cookie in it, so the bank told me that if info were taken, the thieves probably could only make one purchase. But they might be able to use the card number and your name to cause trouble if they are trying to steal your identity.

Things change all the time, but it did not cost much to get the little RFID protection cards for our wallets, just in case.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Krimpette  Obviously to sell more junk with the RFID.   What sellers have done in regard to this issue is downright dishonest.  Then they have hosts parade by swearing it happened to them.   If your CC number is stolen,  how would you know how it was obtained?   There are a million ways to get them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment