Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Too Many Prepared Foods on QVC

ITA!!!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

Prepared foods are everywhere! Go to any grocery store, Sams, Costco, etc etc, and there they are. People buy then, and as long as people do, stores will sell them. They are convenient and in some cases, they are tasty.

I have always tried not to use prepared foods in all the years I cooked for my family, I was lucky enough to be a SAHM and was able to make a home cooked meal almost every night, most people do not have that luxury any more.

Honored Contributor

The prepared foods sold are considered "gourmet".    They certainly aren't convenience foods.   I keep a meatloaf in my freezer.   Purchased it from Sprouts supermarket for about $7. Made fresh in their meat market.    It's better than mine, and cheaper.   Now that's a convenience food!

I don't consume gourmet ribs, steaks & cakes & cookies.   So I don't buy, no matter the price or the S&H or the auto delivery or the easy pay.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've tried a fair amount of some of the offerings ... my husband likes the Kansas City steak burgers (too thick for my taste); Corky's turkey breast was delicious (came with two side dishes from another vendor); didn't care for some others.   I'm game to try new things since I just don't like cooking anymore.

One more ... the Grandma's coffee cakes are great ... I don't dare run out of them ...

Honored Contributor

Both "gourmet" and "convenience" are in the eye of the individual customer. If a customer has the money and feels the purchase is a convenience, they seriously aren't going to care what anyone else thinks about their choice.

No matter what QVC labels a food item, I honestly don't consider anything they sell "gourmet." That's just a selling gimmick.  

When I lived in the city and could go out and buy literally ANY fresh, delicious prepared or baked food with a maximum half hour drive, I would never have considered QVC's prices. But, I have many times gone to the company website to discover that nearly always, even if it's only by a few dollars, ordering from QVC is cheaper than ordering from the website. And now that I live in an area that, in many ways wouldn't know gourmet if they fell over it, even though the prices still make me wince, I might consider something whereas before I wouldn't, because now I can't run out and buy it, and if I really want it QVC's price isn't any more than the company's own price. But I buy the prepared food on QVC veeery infrequently. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

there is a thread about this on-going over in the Kitchen forum.

many different comments re: ITKWD becoming more food than kitchen.

Respected Contributor

It's kind of like AMStyle. I used to enjoy (years ago) watching it when they showed almost exclusively fashion. Now it seems to be mostly everything but..... makeup, hair and skin gadgets, underwear. So I don't watch anymore. But apparently more than one person out there must be happy with the change. :-)

Honored Contributor

@.......Spurt,,,,,if that darling kitty is yours.....what a pretty one you have......

Honored Contributor

@lacelady

I totaly agree with you......

QVC's problem is once a category sells they seem to overdo it at the expense of variety in their products on the show, so if a customer isn't interested in prepared foods they'll turn the channel. While QVC may make some sales, but they also lose other customers due to lack of interest....(just like their weekend lineup its always the same few products rotated over and over ---then they scratch their heads wondering why revenues have been down the last few quarters---they seem to be interested in only engaging a small portion of their customer base but losing many other customers)......

Personally if one wants convenience foods---one can find cheaper and sometimes tastier offerings locally....but perhaps some have mobility issues or want the inconvenience of having it delivered to their door instead of driving to get it to bring it home.....But in any case if their prepared foods monopolize their kitchen shows I think QVC will see another category that experiences a decline in sales because many others do like to cook and are looking for new ideas......yes they might already have pots and pans, and gadgets---but if a vendor comes out with something new and improved the foodies and homecooks will jump on it....and these items tend to be more expensive than the food hence better chance for profits with non food items....so we will have to see how this all works out in future financial reports which are publicly available ......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

If you don't like them, don!'t buy them! Obviously, they fill a need for some, including my elderly mother. I would not agree with limiting choice for others. We keep ribs and tenderloin tips from qvc in our freezer. Tried the prepared side dishes once and was not impressed with flavors or small sizes. To each his own.

@libbyannE

Yes those of us that don't like prepared food won't watch nor buy ........  and where will it leave QVC financially when last year's sales results for several merchandise categories experienced declines .....can those that like these prepared foods generate enough sales ....that is the question

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”