New Contributor

RE: Too Many Prepared Foods on QVC

I see a disturbing trend this year of more and more prepared foods being sold on QVC.

On the food shows maybe 1-2 items of these were shown.  That is fairly tolerable, but

now there is a large increase.   They are expensive and over-priced.  Free shipping is

advertised.  However, I believe that the selling price is increased to compensate for

this.  I personally watch the food shows for actual kitchen items and cookbooks, as

well as inspiration to prepare home meals myself, not to buy over-priced already

prepared ones!  Your thoughts on this?

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Too Many Prepared Foods on QVC

If it sells, they are smart to keep selling it!   That's the basic rule of retail.

Not everything they sell appeals to me, so I don't buy it.   But then I know it's not all about me and I know that they will sell whatever people will buy.

Over the years, I've bought a fair amount of their food products and most of them have been good and, for me, worth it.  So.   

Choices - always good.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

OP......I agree with you.  Very expensive, and we don't know what is in them until they arrive at our front door. 

Nothing is free today.....of course the S&H is figured into the cost.  Some of the things that come already prepared are pretty heavy too.....

Honored Contributor

Everytime I did a channel check during ITKWD today, they were selling some kind of food.  I moved on to another channel. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think they put food on ITKWD, because of David. They probably sell a lot when he does his yum yum routine, complete with happy dance. He is not afraid to eat, and I'm sure this moves the needle.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

If you don't like them, don!'t buy them! Obviously, they fill a need for some, including my elderly mother. I would not agree with limiting choice for others. We keep ribs and tenderloin tips from qvc in our freezer. Tried the prepared side dishes once and was not impressed with flavors or small sizes. To each his own.

Valued Contributor

Totally agree with you. I saw a cake today. 3-19-17 ITKWD by Juniors, over $50. REALLY! Don't get me wrong, it looked fabulous. I really have to do the math when it comes to the food. 

Respected Contributor

They really did seem to sell more prepared food today.  Maybe it was because David (and maybe others on the food team) were at the big food show in Chicago?  They didn't sell as many gadgets as they usually do.

They did surprise me by presenting a Keurig machine though!  (I didn't buy)

Honored Contributor

My thoughts?

They are offering more because what they have offered is selling very well, customers are asking for more, and they're making good money from it - which they are NOT doing in several other areas.

There are only so many kitchen gadgets and accessories/supplies out there to be sold. Once you have your stainless service, your dishes and food storage and various appliances (most "owned" by QVC in one way or another), there's only the occasional new thing even available to sell.

QVC sells cookbooks now. Nearly every cookbook they sell, with the exception of David's and Meredith Lawrence's, can be purchased cheaper at Amazon with potential free shipping. Would you choose to pay $7-$10 more for the privilege of funding QVC?

Several demographics out there like prepared foods - the older customer who isn't able to stand in a kitchen and cook but wants to entertain at holidays, working couples who want to save precious time, and Millennials who have grown up in a prepared foods world and would rather do that than cook. The latter two categories have plenty of money to spend, too.

As with all things QVC - they sell what people buy.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

They obviously sell. Almost everything these shopping channels sell (as far as food) are "prepared" foods.  They wouldn't be advertising a head of cabbage or cauliflower, LOL.

I think the only "non-prepared" foods these networks sell would be the beef or seafood that isn't prepared in some type of sauce.

People can just go to the grocery for vegetables and items that are not "prepared foods".

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"