Regular Contributor

Quit saying "It's so money"!!! Please!!!!

I like stuff to be well made, quality, long lasting, beautiful, colorful, soft, gentle, ect ect ect! But I will never buy something when you say It's so MONEY! What the heck does this mean? REALLY!!! And I don't want to hear something is worn in the Hamptons or Beverly Hills! Are these places where the nice clothes are worn? I see nicely dressed people every single day here in Oklahoma! Annnd I actually turned the channel the other day when my favorite host said the condescending "It's so money"!  It just turned me off to watching her at that point. I usually love her presentations too! 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Re: Quit saying "It's so money"!!! Please!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you

It's one of the sales ploys I tolerate the least.  I guess it works with some people, but whenever the host or vendor gets on that kick, the "Madison Ave", etc. stuff, I just want to say, "how stupid do you think the viewers are?"

I haven't been impressed with that kind of thing since the sixties when I was a teenager and did go walking down Madison Ave with my friends and my little allowance and window shop the expensive stores. Those days are long gone.

When that kind of thing starts annoying me, I just stop watching for a while. 

Esteemed Contributor

It means nothing. Which is their point.

As far as Madison Ave, one of our NYC posters once did a critique of what was being said about Madison Ave and what was actually on Madison Ave.

Honored Contributor

As (at least in part MIS-) used on QVC, It's a ploy to appeal to what has been termed the lower middle class/blue collar demographic. But if you google it/Urban Dictionary & other sources), it has a broader, "hipper" (gag) meaning that doesn't have anything to do with fashion, or even with money per se.

I think most of us have seen hugely expensive items that were also rear-end ugly, so unless one worships money over personal taste, pretty meaningless - and just makes the hosts using it hipster-wannabees trying to sell to other hipster-wannabees. Ewww.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

When I watch, I'm interested in the product details.  I don't really pay attention to whatever story the host goes into.  It doesn't influence my decision to buy.  Hamptons or Madison Avenue means nothing to me.  There are a lot of upscale areas in the U.S., so what.... I'm not trying to copy someone else.

Respected Contributor

It's all sales hype.  It means nothing.  Just like them going on and on about how flattering a piece of clothing is and I'm looking at it on the models and saying, Seriously???  It's actually funny. 

Trusted Contributor

People really still say that?  It was a phrase that became popular back in the late 90's because of the movie, "Swingers."  I haven't heard this phrase on QVC before.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the vendor who says it the most is Isaac. I don't think he can go the whole hour without saying it at least once.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

It is  "so money" because most of the items sold on Q are overpriced! 😁

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I think they say it because many people shop that way.  People buy for status it brings them.  Usually whatever the seller is saying is what the buyer wants.

Not the same for everyone of course.  Just stick with your own purchasing guidelines and habits and ignore the rest, you'll be good.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."