Honored Contributor

Re: Question to those who are retired

@cotton4me  You are happier and healthier.... I love  that!  That is how I feel as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I was forced to leave my job of 30 years at age 53 (15 years ago.  I was diagnosed with a neurological disorder & could no longer type.  DH left his job of 32 years a year later at age 55.  The first 3 years were rough as I needed lots of medical care.  Things are going great now even though I live my life one day at a time.  We travel a lot, enjoy our 3 beautiful DGC & love doing nothing some days.  Never did we plan to leave our jobs so early, but God had other plans for us.

Respected Contributor

When I retired I was one month shy of 56 and has worked for the same agency for over 37 years.  My work environment was changing, within a year we would be changing locations, my boss of 17 years was also retiring, I wasn't up to working for the new supervisor although I knew her for years.  I was tired of the office politics and was losing my enthusiasm and becoming negative.  It was time to go.

While I miss being part of a team, I certainly enjoy all the things that come with retirement.

Esteemed Contributor

I retired at the age of 52 to babysit my new granddaughter.  Toughest job I ever had-best job I ever had....she's 14 now, and I still miss giving her those "sink" baths!!

Esteemed Contributor

I retired with full benefits at 63. It wouldn't have benefited me financially to continue to work. That being said, I absolutely loved my job. If I had had the same Dept. Head that hired me, I probably would have worked until I died at my desk. The Dept. Head that was there when I left was an impossibility to work for. That made my decision for me and I've never looked back. That was eight years ago last spring. Love, love, love retirement and I keep very busy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I am currently on FMLA with hubby who just had a double lung transplant!  He is doing good and we are so grateful for the second chance at life.  I am almost 61 and plan to retire at 62.  Part of me thinks I should not got back to work - hubby needs lots of dr appts, ect., and start doing what we want, but I didn't realize how much I would miss work  - will maybe not work but my co workers - they are are my family.  I have a very stressful job and part of me wants to call it quits, but the practical part says to work another year, be eiligible for SS, not mess with health insurance right now (have fabulous health insurance thru work)   Please share your thoughts on this

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired from teaching when I was 55.  I loved what took place in the classroom but the lesson plans, correcting tests and quizzes, calling parents, writing recommendations and the political BS with the BOA, were exhausting.  In addition we purchased a vacation home in Italy and I wanted to spend more time there.

If I had the kind of job that I could actually leave when I left the building, I probably would have worked longer.

I love retirement.

Honored Contributor

I retired in 2011, 2 months shy of turning 62. I worked per diem for 4 more years, each year a little less, till I just said enough. I love being retired. ❤️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

At 56 I had a bad fall,laying me up for a year almost,consequently I didn't heal right and ended up with both knees replaced too. I had to apply for disability and continue to have problems. I have not returned to work and I do feel exactly like you! I am not feeling guilty,as a nurse for 38 years, who worked off shifts her whole career,I can do things differently now.Now close to 64 it was the best decision I've ever made with my husband. Yes sacrifice was made but peace was worth it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think I'm really retired, just taking a sabbatical. I've never worked for one company for longer than 9 years, so no company retirement plan and gold watch for me. One job I was laid off 2 months before I was eligible for the pension program. I'm in marketing, often in tech, and things just kept moving quickly as jobs and companies transformed. 18 months ago I quit my job of just over 3 years (where I hated every minute of it) to take care of my elderly mother and work on my PhD. I don't miss corporate America but know that at some point I will have to resume employment -- don't look forward to that. I'm 58 BUT my PhD is in Applied Gerontology (the field of aging) and many career opportunities exist for people who are not Millennials.