Honored Contributor

Re: Question to those who are retired

@151949 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I have spoken to others who are retired. 

I'm not yet retired.  I have around 5 more years to work, and I'll probably hang it up voluntarily and do something I really want to do.  I'm still very young.

I fully believe that those who are retired who have a lot of interests and hobbies are extremely happy.  I know from conversations wtih others, if they don't have hobbies and a lot of things to do...they are miserable.   That concerns me for myself so I probaly will always be doing "something" job related.

I think you are not understanding that frequently the reason some retirees do not have outside interests etc  after they retire are health related. Some are just too sick or too depressed to get out. Some have no money. I doubt people want to just sit in the house all day - I think they have factors out of their control.

I was certainly not referring to those individuals.    How you extrapolated that from my post is baffling.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I'm not yet retired.  I have around 5 more years to work, and I'll probably hang it up voluntarily and do something I really want to do.  I'm still very young.

I fully believe that those who are retired who have a lot of interests and hobbies are extremely happy.  I know from conversations wtih others, if they don't have hobbies and a lot of things to do...they are miserable.   That concerns me for myself so I probaly will always be doing "something" job related.

Everyone you know, then (and yourself as well) must be go-getting, type A socializing extroverts - and that's possible, as we tend to have friends who are like we are.

But there are maaany people who look forward to retirement so as to NOT ever have to go-go-go, have appointments to keep and things they "have to" do. I would be miserable if I felt I needed to fill my day with people, things and activities. I am SO not a "need to keep busy/active/stimulated" person - and I'm not alone.

A great deal depends on (the figurative) personality and what gives a person pleasure. I'd say that those who feel the need for their days to be full in retirement are those who felt the need for their days to be full *before* retirement; not everyone is like that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@number one queen  If you think back to your career as a nurse - how many RNs do you know who made it long enough to retire at their full retirement age? I have to say , I have only known a couple. Nursing wrecks your body way before you get to 66 - or whatever age they are going to raise retirement up to in the future. A few nurses luck out and get jobs working for a doctor but that is usually at a much lower pay scale, and most doctors now a days prefer to hire MAs at minimum wage.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@number one queen  If you think back to your career as a nurse - how many RNs do you know who made it long enough to retire at their full retirement age? I have to say , I have only known a couple. Nursing wrecks your body way before you get to 66 - or whatever age they are going to raise retirement up to in the future. A few nurses luck out and get jobs working for a doctor but that is usually at a much lower pay scale, and most doctors now a days prefer to hire MAs at minimum wage.

My MIL made it to 65.  The two other RNs in the family opted out early.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

Everyone you know, then (and yourself as well) must be go-getting, type A socializing extroverts - and that's possible, as we tend to have friends who are like we are.

But there are maaany people who look forward to retirement so as to NOT ever have to go-go-go, have appointments to keep and things they "have to" do. I would be miserable if I felt I needed to fill my day with people, things and activities. I am SO not a "need to keep busy/active/stimulated" person - and I'm not alone.

A great deal depends on (the figurative) personality and what gives a person pleasure. I'd say that those who feel the need for their days to be full in retirement are those who felt the need for their days to be full *before* retirement; not everyone is like that.

That is a valid point.  You are right...I am always busy.  I do "have to do something" a lot.  I don't do well just sitting for long, but I'm in sales.

I don't always have to "be with people", but I do like being kept busy doing something.  I need to be more content just "being", LOL.

And, yes, I am type A.  I think a lot of sales people are Type A. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

That is a valid point.  You are right...I am always busy.  I do "have to do something" a lot.  I don't do well just sitting for long, but I'm in sales.

I don't always have to "be with people", but I do like being kept busy doing something.  I need to be more content just "being", LOL.

My niece hates to "sit around the house doing nothing" on weekends. She's either doing house or yard work, or out and about. I'm assuming that when she retires (another 4 years before her early retirement) she'll be the same.

I have been retired a year now, and I'm still catching up on being happy "NOT doing" and sleeping - but I do foresee a time when I'll be wanting to volunteer or "do something" at my own pace.  I'm going to be limited by physical issues, but I don't think I'll want to hibernate ALL the time, down the road apiece. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

You would be surprised how many people come to volunteer at the food bank and then find out they have to actually do some work, they never come back. I often wonder what they thought they were going to be doing there. 

I volunteered one season at the hospital - it was the most boring thing I have ever experienced! Not for me - if I'm putting in my time somewhere I want to be busy so the time goes guickly. 

Honored Contributor

Wow. A lot of young ages here already retired. Good for you. I think I will be working for a little while longer. I am not ready to retire financially or mentally. My husband who is 60 said he is not ready yet either. So maybe in about 4 or 5 years for me, probably sooner for my husband......Hubby is going to need to find some hobbies though, as I can see him being super bored all winter long!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

i know a great many nurses who will be or are working until their full retirement age. i just am not one of them. My retirement had nothing to do with the physical as i mentioned in my previous post. Many do develop physical issues but one of the beauties of nursing is that it envelopes different areas that require different abilities. I was practicing for 35 years but left the intense physical part behind over 15 years ago. I focused on the supervisory, managerial, and educational aspects. My strong clinical background also helped me in those areas. i still am a nurse and always will be as i intend to keep myself educated on current information and modalities. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@just bee, what you describe all sounds good to me. Not to get too philosophical, you can never get it wrong, and you can never get it done. (Whatever "it" is.) And you can't get it wrong, because it's never done. Each step is just another step. Don'tcha think? And don'tcha love that?