Super Contributor

Re: Question for those who live in colder states in the Winter and who use all electric in their hom

It seems, by these answers, electric heat is cheaper than gas.  I have propane in Nj and each month, on a budget plan for the 12 months, we pay $479 a month,actually down from last year when it was $529 a month.  Our house is 3100 sq.ft. raised ranch.  Electric averages $230 per month as well.  Big difference than your electric.  Our thermostat is set at 68 during day and 66 at night.  don't even mention property taxes in Nj.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those who live in colder states in the Winter and who use all electric in their hom

All electric here in Indiana - nov - Dec - 2,600 sq feet was $69!  I don't keep heat on (it was really mild so I run my house cold and bundle up) - Right now I keep heat off in house all night - just a heater in bedroom that has a thermostat. Most people probably wouldn't be able to stand my house right now.  I'm cheap, cheap, cheap. 

Regular Contributor

It really depends on where you live and your electric provider.  I used to live south of 

Albany NY and my provider was Niagara Mohawk.  Across the river a couple miles away the provider was ConEd and they charged over twice as much as NiMo.  But electric was the most expensive way to heat there at that time.  Gas and oil were cheaper.  But in Feb. my heating bill was over $700.  Age of house, insulation etc was a big factor.  Now I live in another state, have a new house and electric is the cheapest way to heat due to it is generated close by.  Milder weather is a blessing to.  Average around $175/mo.

Honored Contributor

I am on the senior budget plan & pay the same each month - $75.

I keep the thermostate at 80° during the cold months. 

I am a cold blooded reptile.  My teeth would shatter, fingers blue if I kept the temp in the 60's during the winter months.  Plus I would freeze to death.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I would kill someone if it was 75-80 I'm my house!

Ours  is set at 65 during the day, 68 in the evening and 60 overnight.

I can't stand hot, stuffy houses, they make me feel claustrophobic and ill,lol!

We have gas and electric and our budget bill is about $175 a month.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I'm so excited because there's a question on here I actually can answer and I know something about....ok, I'll calm down.

I live in an all electric home (unfortunately).  It is 3,000 square feet.  I live here with my two cats.  Most of the rooms I never even go in.  I don't bother blocking off the vents because I've been told it doesn't do any good anyway.

My bills run a little over $300 per month.  I never cook anything, I eat out.  I keep the heat at around 70 but my cats like the radiant heater (COSTCO) so I keep that going all of the time (major energy user).  I also keep TV going in the bedroom all of the time (don't like no noise).

The TV in the TV room (not the rec room) is always on too (I'm a major TV watcher).

I keep the lights outside on most of the time but those which aren't on are motion activated.

I don't know how that compares to others.  At my age and due to arthritis I don't like to be cold.  

I don't worry about the cost I just want to be comfortable.  I don't know if this helps you or not.

Esteemed Contributor

I would be freezing in 65-68 degrees with our high ceilings in the winter.  We keep it about 70-71. My good friend keeps her house at 65 in the winter, I keep my coat on when visiting her!!!  In the hot summers, we keep our AC at about 78 or 79.

Super Contributor

oh my gosh, if I used the heat in my all electric home i'd go broke.  In the winter, without heat, my bill is still around $300.  Lights, washer/dryer, dishwasher, hot tub and pellet stove cost.  We burn about 1 1/2 tons a month in pellets as well, making my total cost around $600 a month in the winter.  My house is only 1600 sq ft but cathedral ceilings are the killer.

Esteemed Contributor

We dont have an all electric home. BUT I just wanted to say that your bill is good IMO for having all electric. lol.

Our electric bill is our worst (most expensive) bill. Anywhere from 170 to 240 depending which months!

Our gas heat bill runs about 60 to 70 in Winter and 20 or under 20 in warm months. (which IMO is good) This is in PA.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles