Regular Contributor

Question About The Outlander Series

For those of you who have read the Outlander series, did you find it hard to "get into it"? I have been wanting a good book to sink my teeth into and I have heard so many positive things about this series I thought I would give it a try.

I have made three attempts to read the first book, Outlander, and I am finally at about page 60 and have zero interest in continuing. First... I am not a big fan of historical novels... but do like good books with good strong characters and I thought this one might fill that bill.

Did anyone else have issues getting into this book? Will it get better pretty soon or should I just throw in the towel and pull the book mark?

thanks

Joy

Super Contributor

Re: Question About The Outlander Series

Life is short. Pull the bookmark.

Respected Contributor

I read the first two books in the series and I remember thinking several times that the narrative was painfully slow and that I wished the author would move the story along faster. While I was interested in the characters, I didn't care to trudge through more of the author's prose, so I never picked up any of the other books. If you're bored with it, either skim a few chapters to see if you can get more interested in the story or pull the bookmark and donate the book. You can always look up the summary of the books if you want to know the general story.

Super Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Marsha2003 said:

You can always look up the summary of the books if you want to know the general story.

Where do you find summaries? I usually read the Wikipedia articles which contain plot summaries and spoilers, but some books aren't there.

Respected Contributor

On 6/20/2014 ennui1 said:
On 6/20/2014 Marsha2003 said:

You can always look up the summary of the books if you want to know the general story.

Where do you find summaries? I usually read the Wikipedia articles which contain plot summaries and spoilers, but some books aren't there.

Wikipedia is my go-to source, too.

Esteemed Contributor

JoyJ...I tried the first book...audio download. The reader was wonderful with the accents. I stayed for better than half the book (because I was gardening, cleaning, cooking, driving, etc.) and realized...I didn't care! About any of it!

A book that I read and loved and would read again is Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts). It's a long book (900+ pages). I learned about it here.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 esmerelda said:

JoyJ...I tried the first book...audio download. The reader was wonderful with the accents. I stayed for better than half the book (because I was gardening, cleaning, cooking, driving, etc.) and realized...I didn't care! About any of it!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

When we went to Scotland the people we traveled with insisted I read this series so I purchased the first book for beach reading. Well that was many summers ago and I think I made it to page 100 and something. It is still in my beach bag, "just in case" I finish the other book I brought with me. I just couldn't get into it either, not my style of writing.

Honored Contributor

I tried reading the first book a couple times and couldn't get into it. I personally don't find Claire's relationship with Frank interesting. I don't think Frank is very likable in the beginning of the first book. Once she went through the stones and got to Castle Leoch I was hooked though. I've read the whole series numerous times now. I actually like Jamie much more than Claire.

I love historical fiction and history and read a lot of non fiction history books though. I also really find the details about daily life compelling reading in itself.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

The first episode of the mini series is available Comcast On Demand, even though the premier isn't until this weekend.

It was OK; I'll probably watch a couple more episodes before I decide.

Mostly, I kept thinking, great, another scrawny heroine with a bony chest. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}