Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question About Gender Reveal Party

@Venezia wrote:

Well, this is a new one on me!  When I first read the thread title, I honestly thought "What the heck is that?  Now they're having parties where everyone reveals his or her gender?"  (I guess I've been hearing too much news about the transgender issue.)

Never heard of anyone in my part of the world having a party to reveal the gender of a baby.  What next???  Woman Frustrated

Maybe who the father is???   Just kidding, but you never know.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

Tends 2dogs........lol!.....I like your answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

This concept is in keeping with the whole Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and "selfie" world we live in, IMO. Big deals are made of matters that used to be more quiet and private.

So true... but not just about matters that used to be more private. With the advent of social media, every darn detail of peoples' lives became something to report -- when they wake up, go to sleep, what they eat, and on and on. I don't know why people feel such a need to share all the endlessly boring details of their lives. Like another poster said, you have to draw the line somewhere with the parties. I enjoy parties, but this is not something I would likely attend.

@SaRina wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

This concept is in keeping with the whole Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and "selfie" world we live in, IMO. Big deals are made of matters that used to be more quiet and private.

So true... but not just about matters that used to be more private. With the advent of social media, every darn detail of peoples' lives became something to report -- when they wake up, go to sleep, what they eat, and on and on. I don't know why people feel such a need to share all the endlessly boring details of their lives. Like another poster said, you have to draw the line somewhere with the parties. I enjoy parties, but this is not something I would likely attend.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Add posting with strangers on public forums to that list.

People used to interact with others both personally and socially.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, think these are beyond silly and over the top.  My great niece had one for her sister and I opted not to go.

I've seen & heard of a few of these and sometimes there are gifts involved but, for the most part, I believe there are no gifts expected.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

But wouldn't it be presumptious to "reveal gender" based solely on biology?  Shouldn't they wait for the child to decide? 

Just trying to keep up.

@Isobel Archer

Funniest post of the day.  Thanks for the laugh!

Back to the original question--yes, I always bring a gift to this type of party. Let's not forget the host goes to a great deal of time and expense for guests which includes cocktails and dinner followed by a beautiful bakery cake that reveals the big surprise!  

Honored Contributor

Back when all my friends were having babies, there was no such thing as a gender reveal party.

Now that younger relatives of mine and my friends' kids are having babies, none of them have had such a party.  I've had 4 cousins within the last year who have had a baby and none of them had a party.  2 of them chose not to even found out the gender of their baby until the baby was born.

One couple had a shower and at the shower, they revealed the gender of the baby.  No separate party needed. 

I would not take a gift.  The gender reveal parties I've heard about have been very informal.  Appetizers and cocktails.  Nothing more.  

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I, too, think these are beyond silly and over the top.  My great niece had one for her sister and I opted not to go.

I've seen & heard of a few of these and sometimes there are gifts involved but, for the most part, I believe there are no gifts expected.

@shoptilyadropagain

I also think this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of!    It seems like people have WAY too much free time on their hands.

So ... how does this work?   People are invited, an announcement is made as to gender, and they they have food and drink, all the time knowing they are being invited to a baby shower in the future  and will have to bring a present and do it all over again?  Ugh.

Having a baby is a happy thing, but I think there's really too much nonsense and fake parties around this event. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah well, everyone just wait until I have a "Guess what gender dog I'm adopting" party!  

Honored Contributor

Next will come the "Planting the Seed" Party. My WDIL had a "party" for just us grandparents. Invited guests? Not my thing.

Honored Contributor

@september- SO NICE to see your post. Our grand baby is doing extremely well too. I am so grateful for all the prayers received!

Hope those wonderful twins continue to THRIVE!!!!